Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

Legend?

ShaferShafer Global Mapper UserPosts: 17
edited February 2010 in Technical Support
Is there a way that when you print off a map for it to have a legend explaining what your different area types are. it would be cool if you could custom label each area too.

thanks....shafer

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2009
    Shafer,

While there is not a built-in way to generate a legend, you can create a legend graphic in a paint application, then load it into Global Mapper using the File->Open Data File at Fixed Screen Location menu command to place it on the map.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ShaferShafer Global Mapper User Posts: 17
    edited January 2009
    I am well aware that when you print it prints a larger view than what you screen shows...so how do you place the legend that I have made somewhere where it will be there when I print. It would be nice if you could click on the legend once loaded, move it where you wanted, or even resize it in a box that surrounded it (like photoshop or paint) and it would stay there.
    edited January 2009
    To get the legend to stick at some place fixed on the map and not relative to the screen/printout you could just load the legend image normally and graphically rectify it, stretching it to the desired location on the map using a couple of control points (2 should be fine).

Hopefully when we add the map layout tool for the v11 release this summer there will be more support for dragging layers (like the legend) around and resizing them interactively.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited February 2010
    Map legend support is finally here! I have a first-pass at map legend generation completed and added to the Map Layout dialog. You can choose to create a map legend based on the loaded vector data features or on a color palette (with colors and names) selected by you. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com