Line of Sight Profiles

KGJamesKGJames Global Mapper UserPosts: 70Trusted User
edited January 2009 in Suggestion Box
It would be nice if:-
a) Start and End coordinates on the profile could be displayed in other than Lat/Long or military formats (e.g. British Grid, which is my default)
b) LoS path could be saved with the LoS heights and Fresnel Zone heights as well as X,Y,Z,deltaR and R. I see these X,Y positions are in my coordinate system
c) the plan view of the path remained in the main view until deleted manually
d) the same path could be reselected (via Info?) for editing (e.g. to allow a different transmitter or receiver height to be tried without having to manually input the same precise locations for both)

Here's hoping ... !

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2009
    You can already do most of what you are after.

a) If you choose the option to 'Display From/To Coordinates in Selected View Projection' on the Options menu on the path/profile dialog the start and end locations will then be displayed in that projection system rather than your selected position display format. So if your projection was set to British Grid on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog you would get the coordinates displayed in that projection.

b) This is something to be considered for a future release. Right now the closest you would get is saving the LOS to a KML file, but that's not really what you are after.

c) You can use the File->Save to BMP and Display on Main Map View option on the path profile dialog to save the path profile on the main map independent of the dialog.

d) To re-do the same path, first draw a line with the Digitizer Tool with the desired path, then you can simply select that path and right click and select the option to do a path profile along the selected line. This can be repeated as many times as necessary.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • KGJamesKGJames Global Mapper User Posts: 70Trusted User
    edited January 2009
    a) Thanks - next time I'll read the manual!
    b) I'm waiting, but not holding my breath!
    c) Mmm! Could be a way - I'll play some more.
    d) I assume #line1 is the fresnel zone curve, #line2 the LoS. In #line1, are the lat/long coordinates equivalent to the XY coords in my XYZ file, which is in British Grid format?

Thanks again!
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2009
    In regards to KML export, you've got it. You should be able to Ctrl+Left Click on the lines in Google Earth to get additional information about them.

The KML format always uses lat/lon/WGS84 coordinates, so your original coordinates are automatically converted to that on export.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • KGJamesKGJames Global Mapper User Posts: 70Trusted User
    edited January 2009
    Thanks again!