Global Mapper v25.0

Symbol Angle

ollagynot
ollagynot Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2011 in Suggestion Box
Mike,

Would be possible to add the ability to rotate symbols (similar to the option to rotate labels at an angle)? I am currently making geologic maps and I am in need of a way to display symbols at different angels. I currently have a workaround but am limited to 45 and 90 degrees and it is also time consuming and involves many custom icons.

Also I wanted to ask you if you are planning on adding a feature to add custom line styles similar to the ‘add custom area fill” feature you just added (very awesome option!).

Thank you,
Tony

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2009
    Tony,

Actually adding support for rotated symbols is something that I'm working on right now. I hope to have something within the next week or so. This is being added specifically with geological symbols in mind and to make it easier to add strike-and-dip symbols, etc., so hopefully this will be of great use to you. I'll let you know when I've got something ready to test.

Custom line styles are on the other hand unfortunately much more difficult and not something that will be possible in the foreseeable future. We can however potentially add new line styles that are of general use on request.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ollagynot
    ollagynot Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2009
    Great news ! Thanks

Tony
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2009
    Tony,

I have initial support for rotating symbols in Global Mapper. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try. All of the places where you can select a symbol for a type or individual point now have a way to specify a rotation angle as well.

Built-in support for some geological symbols should be coming soon as well.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ebonhand
    ebonhand Global Mapper User
    edited September 2011
    Two things I have run into. There should be a different symbol for vertical joints and bedding. For jointing for instance, vertical is denoted by having the line with a square on both sides of the line.

Secondly, entering the azimuth values should be a text entry field. The slider is a real wrist breaker if you are mapping intrusions where bedding and jointing directions can vary widely.

Thanks,
    Graham