Global Mapper Pro

Feature type form attribute

claudia
claudia Global Mapper User
edited January 2009 in Suggestion Box
I have several suggestions

1. In Control Center, Options, Feature Types, add an option "Get Feature Type from Attribute Value

2. In the Search Vector Data dialog, display the number of selected features.

3. In the File Menu, a bigger cache for the last files opened, currently it is only four (maybe placed in a submenu).

Thanks for reading this.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2009
    As for 1, I do eventually plan to add something like that, although it would likely be an entire tab dedicated to type assignment allowing multiple attributes to be used, etc. As it is I have just added support for an ASSIGN_TYPE command in the scripting language that allows advanced type assignment based on attributes. Here is the documentation of that new command:

ASSIGN_TYPE
    The ASSIGN_TYPE command allows you to assign feature types (classifications) based on one or more attribute or label values. You can choose to update area, line, and or point features with a single operation. You can also supply multiple COMPARE_STR parameters to apply multiple criteria, all of which must be true, in order to assign a type.

The following parameters are supported by the command:

FILENAME - filename of the layer to assign types to. If an empty value is passed in, all layers that were created by the script, such as those from a GENERATE_CONTOURS command, will be updated. You can also pass in the value 'USER CREATED FEATURES' when running a script in the context of the main map view or loading a workspace to have the 'User Created Features' layer updated.
    AREA_TYPE - specifies the name of the Global Mapper area type to assign to matching area features.
    LINE_TYPE - specifies the name of the Global Mapper line type to assign to matching line features.
    POINT_TYPE - specifies the name of the Global Mapper point type to assign to matching point features.
    COMPARE_STR - specifies a comparison operation to perform to see if a feature is one that needs to be reclassified. The format is attr_name=attr_value. For example if you have an attribute named CFCC and you want to match when the value of that attribute starts with an 'A', you can use COMPARE_STR="CFCC=A*" as your parameter. You can add multiple COMPARE_STR parameters to a single command to combine multiple criteria for your search. If you would like to compare against a feature label rather than an attribute, use <Feature Name> for your attribute name. To compare against a feature type name rather than an attribute, use <Feature Type> for your attribute name. To compare against the feature description, use <Feature Desc> for your attribute name.
    CASE_SENSITIVE - specifies whether or not text comparisons are case sensitive or not. Use CASE_SENSITIVE=YES to enable, by default comparisons are not case sensitive.
    For an example of how to use the ASSIGN_TYPE command, see the sample at the bottom of this document.

I will take a look at your other suggestions and see what I can do.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2009
    I have now also updated the search dialog to always display the number of selected items in the text directly above the list. I also increased the number of remembered recently used files from 4 to 6.

I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • claudia
    claudia Global Mapper User
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the improvements.

I didn't know about the ASSIGN_TYP feature, at first glance it seems very powerful, I'll make a try.

Regarding the file cache, my goal here is to reduce navigation when loading maps in GM, so having six maps in the cache surely will help.

However, looking deeper on it, the most common case is when I try to load my reference map, an specific map that I use much more often than others.

I feel everybody has shuch a map or folder that uses frequently. And it frequently happens that this map is no more in the cache, for I had been playing with other maps for a while, or because I recently loaded a large set of maps.

I have no idea how it would fit in GM, it could be a kind of the "Favorites" tool that can be seen on web browsers and other software. Maybe other users have their personal ideas on this, it would be good to ear about them.

Claudia