Global Mapper Pro

Running multiple instances

STH
STH Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited January 2009 in Suggestion Box
I am doing a batch/reproject of alot of files. And have started the job in 4 different GlobalMapperwindows. I have checked the "skip existing files" option and if they are "lucky" all 4 of them will write new files all the time. However once in a while I get the error "Unable to open file ... for writing" I am guessing that one instance of GlobalMapper have already started writing that file. The best option would be to define how many concurrent jobs you can run in the batch/reproject dialogue box. And then GlobalMapper will arrange that for instance 4 jobs can run at the same time and control this. another option would be to have a button: "Auto skip Unable to open message". So that these files gets skipped automatically and the job continues.

I know this is a "dirty" way to enhance GlobalMapper but it seems to work almost perfectly.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2009
    I'll take a look and see if I can easily add an option to silence the error dialogs during batch conversions. Automatically splitting into multiple operations is not something that would be quite so easy.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2009
    Silence error messages would be good one. Very often I start a big batch to let run all night just to wake up in morning and find out it stopped after an hour because of some error.

As for STH...what is gained by running multiple instances? Wouldn't it take just as long as running single instance? Might be better of using GM Script instead.

Matt
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2009
    Matt wrote: »
    what is gained by running multiple instances? Wouldn't it take just as long as running single instance? Might be better of using GM Script instead.

I have a fairly new machine with 4 processors, win 64-bit (8GB RAM). And running only one instance will not use much of the CPU available. Running 4 instances means it will go roughly 4 times as fast because there is "enough" CPU to handle it, also there is no limitation writing to disk as I work over a network connection and some very fast disks. Ofcourse at some point there is no gain in running multiple instances but for the moment it seems to work quite faster.

Extended Task Manager is a great FREE tool to give you more information than the regular Task Manager. For instance it shows how much of the CPU, RAM and I/O activity each "application" uses. Great to find out how many instances of GlobalMapper you can run and discover when you have used all the available RAM and are using scratch disk (which is quite slow compared to RAM).

Extensions for Windows - The Unofficial Windows Upgrade

Regarding scripts I haven`t been able to achieve the same with a script that I do now "manually" - I have just started to work with scripts and hope to use them more in the future for distributed processing if possible.
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2009
    I have updated the batch conversion operation to not report any errors until the entire operation is complete. If any errors are encountered during the batch conversion operation, you should now be prompted at the end of the operation to save those errors to a text file for your review. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2009
    Fast reply as always! Downloaded the file and tried it - and it still seems to stop now and then with the same error message. Do I have to turn this option on somewhere?

UPDATE: I see I use the Export - Geotiff and not the Batch convert/reproject command. That might be why it is not working?
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2009
    The update was only for batch conversion and not the normal direct exports. If you are just doing grid of one import file to multiple export files you should be able to do the same thing with gridding using the batch convert command.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com