View Shed help

hmundlehmundle Global Mapper UserPosts: 5
edited December 2008 in Technical Support
Hi,

I have some questions about the usage of viewshed. I do not find details in the documentation.

Can I use a shape file for transmitter location input?

What is the preferred way to save the resulting view shed? I know, that the layer becomes part of the GM workspace, containing the results as well as the analysis parameters. But I cannot read this format in another SW program. If I do without the parameters, I would expect, something like a black and white GeoTiff is sufficient, but this does not work (no content)...

I really like the Obstructions feature, how can I select the column with the height values?

Thanks for helping

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited December 2008
    You could load your Shapefile with the transmitter locations and then when creating the view shed simply left click on the point from the Shapefile and the location should be snapped to the clicked on point location.

The view shed should contain a raster layer with your defined color value and level of translucency. You should be able to export that to any supported raster format, including GeoTIFF (you could use black and white if the view shed color is closer to black and the background color closer to white, or vice-versa, so that you don't get everything as the same color). You can also optionally choose to have polygon shapes generated around the coverage areas. These could be export to any vector format, like Shapefiles.

You can choose what attribute to use as elevation for loaded vector layers by opening the Control Center, selecting the layer, pressing Options, then select the elevation attribute.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • hmundlehmundle Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited December 2008
    The view shed should contain a raster layer with your defined color value and level of translucency. You should be able to export that to any supported raster format, including GeoTIFF (you could use black and white if the view shed color is closer to black and the background color closer to white, or vice-versa, so that you don't get everything as the same color). ...

Is there another raster format which is independent of the current colors? Something that only saves the information visible/invisible?
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited December 2008
    There is not any raster format available in Global Mapper that represents just on or off. You can save a PNG, GeoTIFF, ECW, or JPG2000 file with an alpha channel and the alpha channel will represent on or off, but to get just a single channel of on or off I would just make one color black and the background white and use a black-and-white GeoTIFF file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com