Position SMS Support through GS Modem

munirafsarmunirafsar Global Mapper UserPosts: 8
edited December 2008 in Suggestion Box
Hi

Is it possible to add support for plotting points from positional data contained in a SMS to further open the possibilities of tracking / fleet management.

Secondly, I have failed to figure out how to use the facility of multiple GPS input now possible in GM. Any pointers.

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited December 2008
    I suppose it is theoretically possible to integrate SMS-based positioning in Global Mapper. I believe some users may already be doing something similar using the External Control API for Global Mapper and just tracking the SMS stuff in their own app and passing that to Global Mapper. I'm honestly not too familiar with how the SMS messages would come into Global Mapper and if there is some kind of standard format. Do you have devices that use SMS to report positioning info?

The multiple GPS tracking currently only works when connected to a device that emits a NMEA data stream with $PRAVE sentences for tracking multiple GPS devices. As far as I know this is current only products from RaveonTech (Raveon Technologies / Because Reliability Is Everything).

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • munirafsarmunirafsar Global Mapper User Posts: 8
    edited December 2008
    Hi

>>>Do you have devices that use SMS to report positioning info?

Yes. There are a large number of freeware as well as commercial software for Nokia Symbian OS and Windows Mobile which can out send positional information through SMS. This positional information can be used in two ways. One is manually i.e. one copies the coordinates from SMS to the desired software. Second one is that the same software installed on the recipient's device is SMS-aware and as soon as some SMS containing positional information arrives, it plots on its own map display. Few examples are Garmin Mobile PC and Garmin Mobile XT, GPS Pi 4.0, Phonetracker etc. However, the only one which I know working on both mobile and PC is Touratech QV4 and Pathaway software.

Few pointers are:-
    PathAway Remote Formats
    Phonetracker
    GpsPasSion Forums - Sending Locations (SMS) Garmin Mobile XT
    GpsPasSion Forums - Receiving position by SMS?
    The GPSbySMS and GPSbyGPRS - programs for Pocket PC and Cellular Phone

I even learnt of some initiative for disaster reporting, recovery and management whereby both email and SMS could be used.

Disaster Relief System: SMS and Email. | KnowProSE.com

Basically what I have in mind is that after connecting a GSM phone to the PC there is an interface between GM and the phone and any SMS containing positional statement are plotted in GM.

Many thanks for your time

Regards

Munir
    edited December 2008
    Munir,

Thanks for the links. It does look like it may be possible to query the SMS messages on a connected GSM phone or GSM modem, and then (assuming there is some standard position formatting) parse them to display vehicle locations like you were tracking a GPS device.

I will add this to our todo list.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • munirafsarmunirafsar Global Mapper User Posts: 8
    edited December 2008
    Thanks.

You may also like to have a look at this small utility which receives positional data through SMS and then plots in OziExplorer.

GPS2SMS, TRACK-BOX, SMS2OZI

Regards

Munir
    edited December 2008
    Munir,

Thanks for the link. I have contacted the authors of the SMS2OZI application to see if they might want to make a version that works with Global Mapper. I think they could probably do this rather easily.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com