Global Mapper v25.0

Transparent PNG in KMZ export

aNameNooneElseHas
aNameNooneElseHas Global Mapper User
edited December 2008 in Technical Support
Hi

I'm trying to use GM10 to export KMZ / KML, via a script. The raster format is to be PNG. All is well, except that I need colour 0 to be transparent. It looks to me like the Export KMZ dialog does not allow for a transparent color to be set.

Unfortunately the BG_TRANSPARENT keyword does not seem to do anything for PNG within a KMZ.

I can use Tools > Control Center then select an overlay, then Options > Transparency etc. However, the gotcha is that I cannot do that via a script, even with a Sendkeys approach, because it appears to be impossible to select the overlay within the Control Center, without using a mouse. Obviously, if a mouse is needed, the automated scripting won't work.

I don't think I can use the batch convert, because I cannot set the output projection that way (it has to be geographic / WGS-84).

Any ideas on how I can get my KMZ exported, in an automated way, making color 0 transparent?

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2008
    You enable transparency for each layer that you have loaded, rather than on your export. In a script your IMPORT commands is where you specify the transparency.

You could also use batch conversion. Any export to KML/KMZ is automatically reprojected to Geographic/WGS84, you don't have to do anything to make sure that the export projection is correct.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • aNameNooneElseHas
    aNameNooneElseHas Global Mapper User
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the info Mike. I have used TRANSPARENT_COLOR="RGB(0,0,0)" with the IMPORT command.

Thanks also for the tip re the batch output being Geo/WGS84.

And for the prompt reply :)