"burning" roads (.SHP files) into clutter (.TIF files)

two37two37 Global Mapper UserPosts: 8
edited November 2008 in Raster Data
Motorola's (formerly, Wireless Valley) MeshPlanner propagation tool has a neat feature where the user can "burn" the roads layer (.SHP file) into the clutter layer (.TIF file) and saves the burned-in roads clutter layer as a separate .TIF file. The user needs only specify a roads width and resolution (obviously, the higher the resolution specified, the smoother the burned-in roads will appear).

1. Can Global Mapper perform this and if so, how?
2. If not, does anyone know of other commercially available GIS software that will?

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2008
    You could simply load your clutter .tif file, then load the road Shapefile on top and set up its display, then export a new .tif file to add the roads. Just make sure to check the box to include vector data when generating the new file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • two37two37 Global Mapper User Posts: 8
    edited November 2008
    Can you specify how wide the roads are? Can you specify what clutter class the roads are?

edited November 2008
    You can specify the "pixel" width of the roads, which when rasterized will correspond to a given number of sample spacings wide. For example if you specify that the roads have a width of 3, and your export sample spacing is 1 meter, the roads would be 3 meters wide in the resulting TIFF file.

You can also choose the color of the roads, so if you choose the color corresponding to your clutter class you should get what you want.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited November 2008
    You can specify the "pixel" width of the roads, which when rasterized will correspond to a given number of sample spacings wide. For example if you specify that the roads have a width of 3, and your export sample spacing is 1 meter, the roads would be 3 meters wide in the resulting TIFF file.

You can also choose the color of the roads, so if you choose the color corresponding to your clutter class you should get what you want.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

WOW! Thanks, Mike! It does appear that this may work. I'm not familiar with setting the "pixel" width and color of the roads when rasterizing; if it's not too much trouble, how is this done?

Thanks again :)
    edited November 2008
    You can visit the Line Styles tab of the Configuration dialog and change the default width (this is specified in pixels) and color of the built-in types, or you can select your individual features with the Digitizer/Edit tool, then right click and edit the features individually and customize their drawing styles.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited November 2008
    You can visit the Line Styles tab of the Configuration dialog and change the default width (this is specified in pixels) and color of the built-in types, or you can select your individual features with the Digitizer/Edit tool, then right click and edit the features individually and customize their drawing styles.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info; I am now able to generate my clutter file (GeoTiff) with the roads etched into them. However, when I do this, the resultant file has lost all of its clutter codes (i.e., code 22, code 23, etc.) and defaulted all of them to sequential codes 0 through the number of unique codes. Is there a way to preserve the clutter codes from the original clutter file?

edited November 2008
    What I would suggest is opening the Control Center, selecting your original clutter layer, pressing Options, then going to the Palette tab and saving the palette (your clutter definitions) to a .pal file. Then when you export your new file including the roads, select to generate a 256-color palette-based GeoTIFF and select to use a custom palette from a file, then use the .pal file that you just saved.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited November 2008
    What I would suggest is opening the Control Center, selecting your original clutter layer, pressing Options, then going to the Palette tab and saving the palette (your clutter definitions) to a .pal file. Then when you export your new file including the roads, select to generate a 256-color palette-based GeoTIFF and select to use a custom palette from a file, then use the .pal file that you just saved.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Hi Mike

Many thanks for all of your help. As I learn more and more about Global Mapper, I become more and more convinced that Global Mapper IS the ultimate GIS program! :)