Global Mapper v25.0

Crop To Selected Line Feature

mjmfgm
mjmfgm Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2008 in Technical Support
Good morning Mike,
Mike I need to select and export data selected by Line style boundaries. Is there a way to select an line style area and then use the export to vector feature and than crop to the selcted area?

Thanks for your help Mike.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2008
    Mike,

You first need to select the line with the Digitizer Tool, then right click and select the option to create an area feature from the line, then you'll be able to select that area and export cropped to it.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    mjmfgm Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2008
    Thanks Mike I will give that a try, also does this select all the layer below ?
    :)
  • mjmfgm
    edited November 2008
    Mike this does not work correctly, the digitizer tool does not select all the line features. The Information tool correctly selects the line style feature.

M I am missing something ?
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2008
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say the Digitizer Tool does not select all of the line features. You can hold down CTRL when left clicking to select lines to add to your existing selection ratehr than replace it. Perhaps this will fix your issue?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited November 2008
    Ley me try that, thanks Mike
  • mjmfgm
    edited November 2008
    Okay I did selected the Area ( after I converted the line to Area Style ) now and exported the area, however; The cropping to selected Area does not work, I am getting lots of bleed over ( Please see Image ).
    62.jpg 241.6K
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2008
    The crop to selected area features for vector data currently only crops line and area features to the bounds of the selected area and doesn't actually do a line or area to area crop. Any points will be limited to just the selected area and of course raster exports are perfectly cropped. At some point in the future we hope to add support for full cropping of line and area features to other area features.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited November 2008
    Bummer, that is not good. I cannot use Raster stuff because I need to export to polish format.

It seams that I just spend 3 month on creating maps and now find out that I cannot finish the project.

Okay thanks Mike.:(
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2008
    Cropping line and in particular polygons to polygons is pretty difficult business which is why we haven't implemented it so far. Is it possible for you to make your maps to some rectangular grid rather than cropped to polygons?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited November 2008
    Ya I understand, this sounds like a programing night mare. The problem with the rectangular grid is that the bleed over is such a great area and therefore affects the load times and memory requirements for GPSr.

I will make this work somehow and may end up using the draw box approach to minimize the area width.

Thanks again Mike for your explanation and help.
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2008
    If your map tile are rectangles that don't overlap, then there won't be any bleedover. Global Mapper does cut line and area features to rectangles, just not arbitrary polygons.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited November 2008
    Thanks again for your advice Mike, I did not tile the map yet. I will break this down one area at a time to make sure that I use the lowest amount and area.