Feature Request: define attributes to be associated with point styles

DaveGoodrichDaveGoodrich Global Mapper UserPosts: 36Trusted User
edited November 2008 in GPS Features
I would love to use Global Mapper on a TabletPC to collect data using the Mark Waypoint function (I am a geologist). While a number of attributes can be collected for each waypoint, unfortunately, it seems that the desired attributes types would have to be re-entered for each collected point. This would make consistent data collection difficult and tedious, because the user would have to remember to use the same attribute names each time, and could easily forget to collect certain attributes without a "form" to prompt him/her.

It would be great if the user could define a set of attributes to be associated with each Point Type. Then, when the user collects a waypoint and selects a feature type in the dialog box, the pre-defined set of attributes would populate the "Attribute Name" column, and the user would just fill in the "Attribute Value" column. This would allow the user to define "forms" for various data types, and export a consistent flat file database.

It seems like the elements are all there so that this shouldn't be too difficult to implement, but I'm not a programmer, so what do I know?

While this is getting closer to the realm of more serious field GIS (i.e. ArcPAD), Global Mapper is much easier to use and much less expensive. This feature would be the icing on the cake for me.

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2008
    Dave,

That functionality already exists! Just go to the Point Styles (or line or area) tab of the Configuration dialog and press the Attributes button for any given type to setup a default attribute list for that type. That attribute list will then automatically be filled in for any new created features.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DaveGoodrichDaveGoodrich Global Mapper User Posts: 36Trusted User
    edited November 2008
    Sorry, I am really embarrassed. I guess I should upgrade to the latest version.

Thanks Mike, for the great product.