Global Mapper v25.0

Unicode in Global Mapper?

aaristar
aaristar Global Mapper User
edited November 2008 in Technical Support
We are building maps using Global Mapper 10 (WONDERFUL Program!) but we don't seem to be able to use Unicode in the maps. Since our project is to produce linguistic maps in many different scrips, including IPA, we need Unicode. Am I right in thinking that GM doesn't support Unicode, and, if so, is there any intention to do so soon?

My thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2008
    For the most part that is correct, Global Mapper cannot display Unicode text. There are a couple of instances where Gloabl Mapper detects Unicode and converts it to multi-byte for display, but there aren't many of these. What format(s) are you working with?

There are not any short-term plans to make Global Mapper fully Unicode-compliant.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • aaristar
    edited November 2008
    We're working exclusively with UTF-8 in our maps, since this is the Unicode version best supported on the web.
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2008
    What data formats are you using with UTF-8 encoding in them?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • aaristar
    edited November 2008
    I should add that we're doing polygons, lines and points, so it's mainly the feature/attribute pairs that we need to be Unicode.
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2008
    Global Mapper should currently maintain any UTF-8 strings through input and output and even display them correctly for the most part if using base ASCII characters. It would not display any non ASCII characters correctly though. At some point we may allow specification of the text encoding method for a particular file and automatically translate for display.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com