Global Mapper v25.0

Exporting .bmp files?

curiousity
curiousity Global Mapper User
edited November 2008 in Technical Support
I have the trial version of Global Mapper v10.0. What I need to know before I can get my company to buy this software is, is it possible to export a geo-referenced .bmp file. We have other software we are using that needs a background image of Florida, that requires geo-referencing, but it will only accept a .bmp file. I have the image, and w/ the trial version, the availability to reference it, however It does not allow export, but what I can see it also doesn't say .bmp format in the export menu. Please give any information you can. Thanks.

Curiousity

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2008
    You can use the File->Capture Screen to Image menu command and generate a BMP file with a world file. Or you could do say a PNG or TIFF export with world and PRJ file, then use something like Paint or Photoshop to convert that to a BMP and just rename the world file to .bpw.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • curiousity
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for the quick response. The only other question I have is if the image I am importing is high resolution, and I geo-reference it using global mapper, when I export the .bmp file will it still be high resolution?
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2008
    For the screen capture you can specify the pixel size, but the direct export to a different format at full resolution and then external conversion to BMP might be a better approach for large high-res images.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • curiousity
    edited November 2008
    I am wondering if there is any type of user's manual to help me walk through exporting the high resolution file. Thanks.
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2008
    The User's Manual is available under the Help menu in Global Mapper. It includes several video tutorials, one of which may be useful to you.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • curiousity
    edited November 2008
    I found the manual. But it doesn't explain very well what the world file and the projection files are, or what they are needed or used for.:confused:
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2008
    World files and projection files are used to define where on earth a graphics file (like a BMP) should be displayed. A good description of world files is at World file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. A PRJ (projection) file just describes what projection system the coordinates in a world file are in.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com