Global Mapper v25.0

German Topo Import

Franz
Franz Global Mapper User
edited October 2008 in Bug Report
Hi Mike,

at first let me say 1000 times thank you for creating this *.mpr importer. It was never easier to handle these topo files in sense of prepairing them for GIS-purpose.

I'm running GM 10, build time 24 Aug 2008 15:48:19 on an XP Pro system (2GB).

When I try to open a 11 or 120 MB mpr, everything works just fine, but when it comes to a 1,16 GB one (which is a detailed 1:10 000 map from Germany) the progress bar for loading starts to freeze in about half its way and the hazzle starts up like just as shown below.

Thinking about possible prob-sources:
1. not enough RAM?
2. too many details in this map, i.e. just too big?
3. aspect-ratio: a few days ago I changed my old 19" TFT for a new 22" and I ran the process again but the amount of time in between 1st and 2nd error message was larger along with a bigger scale displayed. Maybe interaction of zoom level/aspect ratio/display range?

Thanks.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2008
    The error that you are getting specifies some error decoding a tile from the file in the 3rd-party MPR decoding library that we are using. If it is possible for you to provide a sample file that fails to me I can take a look. I suspect memory is the issue, or it could be a bug in the MPR decoder.

You can FTP the file to ftp.globalmapper.com. Simply login with a username of 'upload' and a password of 'upload' to gain write access.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Franz
    Franz Global Mapper User
    edited October 2008
    Mike,

thanks for your fast reply.
    I made a mistake: the mpr is not 1,16 GB but 3,16 GB!
    I'm gonna try to ftp this big mpr (along with mpi/mph-file) right now, could last a little while...
    Oops, connection to ftp server reset, tells me that I don't have permission to access folder.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    You need to use a FTP client to put the data up on our FTP site and not use a web browser. We use CuteFTP here, I believe it is a free download.
  • PaulTocknell
    PaulTocknell Forum Administrator Unconfirmed
    edited October 2008
    I don't believe CuteFTP is a free program anymore. Try Filezilla:

FileZilla - The free FTP solution
  • Franz
    Franz Global Mapper User
    edited October 2008
    Hi,

I'm still there but FTP-connection failed when 8x% of upload was done. Trying to use faster UL speed this time...

Franz
  • czietz
    czietz Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2008
    If the error code (300) is passed directly from the MPR decoding library (libmpr) it means "LZW decoding error" which is raised for example when the data is corrupt or can't be read.

On the other hand libmpr needs a bit of attention to be able to read files larger than 2GiB. Mike, did you define FSEEK64 before compiling libmpr? Otherwise it will default to the C standard library version of fseek which is only guaranteed to support offsets up to 2GiB.

PS: In case that's really caused by a bug in libmpr, I'd be interested in fixing it.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    I had not defined fseek64. I have now defined it to fsetpos which supports 64-bit offsets and still seems to work ok, although I don't have any files larger than 2GB to test with. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Franz
    Franz Global Mapper User
    edited October 2008
    Well Mike, czietz,

what can I say... THIS IS JUST IT!
    It works great.
    My system is working very close to its capacity line but the bug is gone now.

A big Thanks to all of you who gave input to this solution.

P.S.:
    I'm still goofin' with this large upload but it can be just a matter of days...
    If anyone is still interested in this file plz let me know.

Regards:)

Franz
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    Franz,

I'm glad to hear this worked. There is no need to send the file anymore if it now loads ok.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com