Global Mapper v25.0

Export to OpenStreetMap tiles

124»

Comments

• soulsolutions
    soulsolutions Global Mapper User
    edited January 2011
    Hey guys, it sounds like a familiar issue here, exporting large imagery to tiles in various web tile formats. We have found that a large bottleneck in the performance is the writing of the little image files themselves to disk.

Has an option ever been considered to save the tiles directly into a compressed file format or, even better, direct to a database?

We index our tilesets using the Bing Maps quadkey and store them directly in SQL2008 as binary. A simple ASPX handler serves these up to the web clients very quickly. The benefits are: 1) performance, 2) ease to transfer (backup database), 3) ease to maintain (sql operations to truncate or delete tiles, 4) handler lets us serve up blank tiles without having to store them.

I'm currently processing some 30cm aerial images using global mapper 10, I'll be upgrading to the latest 64bit v12 tonight after reading this thread. I use the Google maps output format as the folder structure allows the OS to handle the files better. I have a custom app to then pull these tiles into the Database. It would be awesome to make Global Mapper the fastest way to do this process, I'd love to help provide feedback.

Any scope to provide a output to a Database for the tile exporter?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2011
    There aren't currently any plans to write directly to a database, I think we would likely add database import support first, but either way it would likely be a big task.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • soulsolutions
    soulsolutions Global Mapper User
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the update Mike, some time ago you gave me advice on how this maybe possible using the SDK. I'll play with few options and report back. I understand it isn't really a simple tasks to implement into the product.

The Microsoft Expression team have a product called DeepZoom Composer that tiles large images, they implemented a solution that just put the result tiles directly into a cab container in windows (bit like a zip file). I don't know if it was that they optomised the way the file was written or simply because they didn't need to create millions of tiles but the performance was magnitudes faster. The resulting file was then also easier to copy up to a web server.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2011
    It could be possible to export the results of a tile export directly to a .zip file. Would you still need to extract that once you actually copied it up to the web server though which would incur the time penalty for creating all of the files then?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • I choose export in OSM tiles, "Only Export Fully Covered Tiles". I need only the filled tiles. Why this function doesn't work?
  • How to cancel export not of full tiles ?
  • Second question.
    How to import OSM  tile  back in Global Mapper?  Export to OSM creates  htm file and tiles.  If to choose import of this htm file - I receive a mistake.
  • gm_source_def.xml  too doesn't work. 

• Export in OSM Tiles.
    Checkbox "Only Export Fully Covered Tiles"  
    Level 12,13,14 - only full tiles.
    Level 15,16  - full and not full tiles. 
    It isn't clear to me. Why ???

• I should delete hundreds of incomplete tiles manually ! :(

HELP ME !