Export GeoTIFF/JPEG - change compression ratio

STHSTH Global Mapper UserPosts: 434Trusted User
edited November 2007 in Suggestion Box
Is it possible to add an option so you may change the compression ratio on the JPEG in GeoTIFF/JPEG- exports?`Ie set the Q- factor. I can see that the default it is set to is 25 - which is too much compression. Either set it in the: Tools - Configure - General- tab, or set it when exporting to this format.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2007
    The default JPEG-in-TIFF quality setting should be set to 75%, which is the standard default quality setting for JPEG-in-TIFF files. Would a registry setting for changing this work for you? I doubt that most people would need a non-default value so I don't want to clutter the interface with a slider (plus I'm lazy :).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • STHSTH Global Mapper User Posts: 434Trusted User
    edited November 2007
    If you are lazy then I`m an alien. You fix errors and add features faster than I can check my e-mail. Yes, a registry setting is sufficient:)
    edited November 2007
    I have added support for a new DWORD registry setting at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\JpegInTiffQuality to control the JPEG-n-TIFF quality. The default value is 75. The valid range is 25 to 100, with 100 being lossless. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited November 2007
    Found the correct registry setting, and added the DWORD JpegInTiffQuality and set it to 90. However it does not seem to be used in GlobalMapper. i have also restarted the machine, but I guess that is not needed. Will try more tomorrow, long day.

I wish you a good night and hope you get a vacation soon.
    edited November 2007
    Check the build date and time of your Global Mapper under the Help menu. Sometimes you'll get an older cached version of the global_mapper9.zip file if you've downloaded it recently, so your build isn't updated.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited November 2007
    Build time: Nov 22 2007 16:02:13. This corresponds to the date on the EXE-file.
    edited November 2007
    I took a look and found that I had only made the change for GeoTIFFs exported from rasterized vectors and not the general case. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with this fixed for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited November 2007
    Ah, splendid. Just in time for project delivery in a couple of hours. Thanks alot! Have a nice weekend