Global Mapper v25.0

ASCII File Creation

Drainage
Drainage Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2008 in GPS Features
I would like to log data using an RTK system and use that data to create a topo as well as use the line profile option. Can I log the data using Global mapper and if not what would you recomend I Use that could be loaded onto a laptop. Thanks for all your help this program is Awesome

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2008
    Assuming that your RTK system can output its coordinate information over a serial port in NMEA format, you should be able to track it using the GPS menu in Global Mapper. Make sure to enable track log recording and also save your tracklog every once in a while. Once you are done, open the Control Center, right-click on the User Created Features layer, then select the option to generate an elevation grid from the data. This should create a gridded terrain layer from the 3D information in your track log.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Drainage
    Drainage Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2008
    I have tried to collect data the way you described and GM gives message that i need 3 point to triangle the data grid is there any to save the track log as individual points instead of track log or line. When I save the track log it seems to save it as a line instead of individual points of Lat,Long,Elevation
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    Is your RTK system providing elevation values with the GPS location? The track log line saved in Global Mapper should include elevation values if there was elevation at each vertex in the track log line. You might try using the File->Export Vector->Export Simple ASCII Text File menu command to export your track log to a XYZ file so that you can verify that elevation values are there in a text editor. You can then load that file back in using the File->Open Generic ASCII Data File menu command and grid that into an elevation file ten.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Drainage
    Drainage Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2008
    Yes it does have an elevation id in the output but what I need more than just data at the vertex of the line I would like to save a point every ten feet along the tracklog my understanding is GM is giving a point at the start corner and end of a tracklog is that correct ? ie a function to log a point at a desired interval, 1 foot, 5 feet, 10 feet then save that to create a XYZ file to load in with other data. Thanks for all your help Terry
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    Terry,

There should have been an elevation value associated with each vertex in the track line, which should basically contain a point for each time the GPS provided a new location (with some points which don't add to the shape of the line removed to prevent data overload). Can you send me a sample XYZ file with what you are seeing?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com