Trouble opening HDF data from MODIS

waytwayt Global Mapper UserPosts: 5
edited July 2008 in Technical Support
Hi:

We're working on an epidemiological model that requires surface temperature data, currently available from NASA as part of its MODIS mission. The data is freely available via FTP in HDF format, which Global Mapper supposedly supports. However I get an error whenever I try to import one of the HDF files.

Example file:
ftp://e4ftl01u.ecs.nasa.gov/MOLT/MOD11A1.005/2006.06.17/MOD11A1.A2006168.h22v10.005.2008126003430.hdf

Error thrown upon opening this file in GM9:
Unable to load HDF file [filename]
Unable to find any supported image data in MODIS data.
HDFOverlay.cpp - 1761
Build Time: Jun 20 2008 12:54:51

I have used HDFExplorer (from http://www.space-research.org/download/HDFExplorerSetup.exe) to confirm that the HDF file does in fact contain valid data. The data I want are in the LST_Day_1km channel.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2008
    Global Mapper only supports a handful of data sets in the HDF format. If you get that error it means that Global Mapper does not support the particular HDF format that you are trying to load.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • waytwayt Global Mapper User Posts: 5
    edited July 2008
    I found a solution to this problem. There is a freeware tool called HEG (HDF-EOS to GeoTIFF Conversion Tool) that, while kludgy, is able to import a MODIS file in HDF format and then save one or more of the data channels in GeoTIFF format, which Global Mapper of course imports flawlessly.

The tool is here: HEG - HDF to GeoTIFF Conversion Tool

Wayt