Global Mapper Pro

Calculating Elevation Gain/Loss

kulshangis
kulshangis Global Mapper User
edited August 2010 in Elevation Data
Hi All,

I'm writing looking for a way to calculate overall elevation gain/loss using GM v.6.09, a DEM and a vector line (trail, road, etc.). Or, any suggestions on newer GM versions that can accomplish that task would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tom
----
Bellingham, WA

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2008
    Tom,

You should be able to see a graphical path profile of your feature by selecting it with the Digitizer Tool, then right clicking and selecting the option to display a 3D path profile.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kulshangis
    kulshangis Global Mapper User
    edited June 2008
    Hi Mike,
    "Vertical Difference (Start to Finish)" in GM 6.09 does not give the result that I need. I am looking for the total accumulated elevation gain and/or loss over the entire length of the line segment. The application is for people biking, hiking, etc. on recreation trails.

Thanks for your post.
    Tom
  • jgf
    jgf Global Mapper User
    edited May 2009
    bump...

same question - is there an easy way to get this?

thanks.
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2009
    There is not currently an easy way to get this.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • wncblueridge
    wncblueridge Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2010
    Mike, if possible, this would be a valuable addition to V12. Accumulative elevation gain, maximum up and down grade percent, are useful parameters for evaluating roads and trails. The bicycle community routinely uses these in information about routes. Delorme's Topo USA will provide this output, but I think the results are not as good as Global Mapper could provide using a known DEM.
    Thanks
    John
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2010
    John,

That should be easy to add to the existing feature to add elevation statistics attributes to selected line features from the Digitizer Tool. You can expect it in the first v12 beta!

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2010
    John,

FYI, I have added the requested calculations to the latest v12 build we are working on, so as soon as a beta is available you can try them out.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com