Global Mapper Pro

contour ?

moonbaby
moonbaby Global Mapper User
edited July 2008 in Elevation Data
this might be a stupid question but i'll ask anyway....am converting noaa precipitation grib2 data to .flt format and when i import that file to Global Mapper i want to generate contours at intervals like this, .05 .10 .15 ect...how would i go about doing this for intervals using Meters?

also, is there a way to close off polygons and not just have open polylines?

thanks.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2008
    You can use the File->Generate Contours menu command and generate contours at whatever interval that you want. There is an option when generating contours to generate filled iso-height areas in addition to the contour lines as well.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • moonbaby
    edited July 2008
    when generating contours from a batch command, is there an option to "smooth contours lines"?

here is my command....

GLOBAL_MAPPER_SCRIPT VERSION=1.00
    UNLOAD_ALL

IMPORT FILENAME="C:\weather\mtmp.flt" VOID_ELEV=0 MAX_ELEV=130 ANTI_ALIAS=YES

GENERATE_CONTOURS INTERVAL=10 ELEV_UNITS=METERS

EXPORT_VECTOR FILENAME="C:\weather\maxTemp.txt" TYPE=SIMPLE_ASCII EXPORT_ELEV=NO EXPORT_ATTRS=YES

when i use batch command for contours i get jagged or less smooth lines than when i run the thing by opening the program and generating contours.
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2008
    You should be able to add the SMOOTH_CONTOURS=YES parameter to your GENERATE_CONTOURS command to smooth the contours.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • moonbaby
    edited July 2008
    is there a command to set the "Simplification" for contour generation? 0.50 would be perfect. Thanks for the help.
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2008
    You can add a SIMPLIFICATION parameter to specify the simplification to use. In a script you specify the actual simplification distance to use rather than a multiplication factor against the spatial resolution. So if your contour spacing was 30.0 meters, a value of 0.5 in the user interface would correspond to 15.0 as the script value.

However, if you just leave the SIMPLIFICATION value off of the GENERATE_CONTOURS command the default result is the same as the 0.5 value from the user interface.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com