Global Mapper v25.0

Lines to Area?

Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2008 in Vector Data
I have some missing area data for which I have the perimeter lines, but not the area.

A few month back I learned how to convert an area to lines. I now want to reverse that procedure. Seems to me it would require two steps:
1- Close the loop of lines
2- Issue a command that the inside of the "box" is now an area

I'm not sure of the steps to do either 1 or 2. What is the procedure?

Thanks

Comments

• Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2008
    I did a basic line box to area, so I've figured out most of the puzzle.

Is their an export selected command? Or do I need to delete all the unneeded lines and then export my area?

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2008
    Roger,

To convert a line into an area, just select it with the Digitizer Tool, then right click and select the option to create an area from the selected line(s).

To export selected features, just use Ctrl+C to copy them to the clipboard, then open another instance of Global Mapper, press Ctrl+V to paste the features, then export them to a new file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2008
    Mike,

By doing the test I was able to master the basics, but I brute forced the final part by deleting everything else. Even opening search to delete the old lines hidden under the area. Worked.

I'm kind of trapped by my CorelDraw memories, looking for the same/similiar commands. Save Selected, Copy/Paste didn't occur to me.

I exported the area as a GM package file. I'm now using GM package files instead of shapefiles for my finished layers . . . I'm learning.

Thanks for the reply.