Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

Import shaprefile contours with elevation data

tninetnine Global Mapper UserPosts: 10
edited June 2008 in Vector Data
Hi all,
I'm trying to create TOPO GPS maps for my personal use. I'm downloading data from here.

NZTopoOnline Terms and Conditions for Users

Unfortunately they have a WMS service, but its off line until they fix a software problem. I've downloaded everything in a shape file, and I'm trying to add it. When I add the contours, they appear correctly, but I don't get any of the elevation data. How can I get elevation data when I import contour shape files?

Thanks,
Todd

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2008
    Todd,

The Shapefiles typically would have a DBF file with them that would include the attributes, like elevation. If you select a contour line with the Feature Info tool you can see the attributes.

To assign a particular attribute as a display label and/or elevation, simply open the Control Center, select the layer, then press Options.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tninetnine Global Mapper User Posts: 10
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the reply. You're correct, I was able to get the elevation data by selecting "ELEVATION" for the label and the "ELEVATION" field as the value.

However, when I import my shp file for contours, I can only select a single classification. By default my selection for "Classify Unclassified Line Feature As" defaults to "Unknown Line Type". I can select "Contour Line, Minor", but I'd like all lines with no elevation element on them to be "Contour Line, Minor" and ones with Elevation to be "Contour Line, Intermediate". If there a way to automatically do this when I import the shp file? If not is it possible via layer properties, is it possible to write a script file to change the properties of the vector if the "ELEVATION" property is present? I found a couple of scripts here, but nothing that would help me, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Global Mapper 3D GIS Mapping Software Scripting Language Files.

Second, when I export my data to Polish format for GPSMapEdit my data is horribly skewed. My data from LINZ shp file is in the NZDG2000 Datum format with meters. I noticed GPSMapEdit thinks the export is using WGS 84 Datum and feet. How can I convert my entire project to WGS 84 and feet before the export to GPSMapEdit? I couldn't seem to get the projection for my layers to get my data into WGS 84 format.

Thanks,
    Todd
    edited June 2008
    Todd,

The easiest way to classify the features as you describe would be to use the Search->Search by Attributes menu command and first find all of those features that have an elevation and make them the 'Contour Line, Intermediate' type and then find all those features without an elevation and make them 'Contour Line, Minor'. Those types should transfer on export to the MP file.

When you load your data, are you being prompted to select a projection? So long as you select the appropriate datum/projection (most like New Zealand Map Grid or New Zealand Transverse Mercator) on import, Global Mapper will automatically reproject to lat/lon WGS84 on export as needed by the MP format. You can also do this manually prior to export by changing the projection on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog to Geographic/WGS84.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited June 2008
    Thank you for you help! That got it, I simply searched for elevations at 100, 200, or 300 and changed them to major contour intervals. Is the search syntax regular expression based? I tried searching for 100|200|300, but it wouldn't work so I had to search for each individually. Either way, it works if I search individually. I have one last question. I have several tunnels, bridges etc that don't have feature types in the default features. I noticed I could add a new feature when I'm editing attributes. Is it possible to create feature lists that match garmin's features and hex codes and import them into global mapper? I couldn't find any doc on creating new feature types in the manual.

Thanks,
    Todd
    edited June 2008
    Regular expressions aren't supported when searching, but wildcard characters like '?' and '*' are. So you could search for values like text that equal '?00'. If you just want to find all features that have an elevation, search where text is != to a blank string.

I would suggest reading the excellent tutorial on generating Garmin format maps using Global Mapper and cGPSMapper (including covering creating custom types with garmin type codes) at http://www.globalmapper.com/helpv9/cGPSMapper.pdf.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the help. I've been using the tutorial, but I'm running into serveral issues with cGPSMapper and GPS Map Edit. For instance, when I open my export Polish format in CPS Map Edit, all of my labels are missing on my layers. I don't have any elevation on any of my lines that appear correctly in Global Mapper.

Aside from presentation, it also appears that the external utilities outlined in the end to install the maps into Map source are a bit buggy. The .mp file that is generated from cpreview to create an .img always fails with the message that 2 or more layers are required. I tried using the GPS Map Manager to install my maps into Mapsource, but that didn't work either. It seems the registry entries its creating aren't valid. I've used this tool instead.

cypherman1 - Now to use MapSetToolKit 

I've found that for noobs like myself, its much easier to use and get data into mapsource. It just works!

Thanks,
    Todd
    edited June 2008
    Almost there! I do appear to have a final issue now that I have everything converted into .img format and loaded into map source. It appears that using the NZDG2000 datum as my source is causing issues during export. If I open my topo in Mapsource, it appears in the ocean. If I download the free wms from landsat 7 to compare the satellite imagery with my map, my maps are appearing in the middle of the pacific about 200 km off the mainland, when it should be in the middle. I'm not sure if this is an error on import, of if this is an issue with data projection not converted. Any ideas on this?
    edited June 2008
    Todd,

What you are describing sounds like an import issue. If you can provide me with a sample of the data that you are importing I can likely direct you at the correct projection and datum to use when importing it to get it loaded properly. Once the data is loaded with the proper projeciton and datum, Global Mapper should take care of the rest.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited June 2008
    Thanks again for the quick response. This is a very small map as its my first attempt at using Global mapper. I've only included the contours and cliff shp files. According to LINZ, I think the data is in NZGD2000 Datum.

Datums, Projections and Heights
    edited June 2008
    I took a look and the data appears to be in the New Zealand Map Grid projection and not the New Zealand Transverse Mercator projection. Just make sure to select that projection and the NZGD2000 datum when you load the data and it should come in at the correct location.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    edited June 2008
    That got it. Is it possible to import a list of garmin features into Global Mapper? I like it better than GPS Map Edit, but they seem to have a more complete list of hex codes and feature types. I'd like to export this data from GPS Map edit, and put it into Global Mapper. I know that I can define them one at a time, but it would be easier to perform a batch import.

Thanks,
    Todd
    edited June 2008
    Todd,

The only thing that you could really do is generate custom_area_types.txt, custom_line_types.txt, and custom_point_types.txt files that have all of the Garmin types and put those in your Global Mapper folder. This would get you around the Global Mapper GUI if you have some programming skills to go from the Garmin type list file (like RGNType.txt from cGPSMapper) to the type files used by Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com