Where is "straighten image" feature?

windtraderwindtrader Global Mapper UserPosts: 6
edited November 2007 in Raster Data
Hello,

I imported an untrimmed USGS DRG which was scanned at an angle. Global Mapper did an amazing job and automatically brought the image in along with the proper datum and coordinates. Since the image was scanned off angle, it displays that way in the view. I looked all over and could not find a function that allowed one to show the image "northed" so that the lat/long would be on a horizontal/vertical axis in the display view.

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2007
    If you go to the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog and change the view projection to Geographic, then your image should be aligned how you want.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • windtraderwindtrader Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited November 2007
    Mike,

Fantastic! Works perfect. I actually found UTM even nicer as it lines up all the UTM grids on the map with the screen.

I had seen a option panel (Tools|Control Center|Options|Projections ) early on but decided not mess with it as I got the following message,
    "The Projection tab is used to reinterpret the raw overlay data .... This option is rarely used."

I figured what I was doing was quite common as all I had done was import a USGS DRG with the associated metadata files and the map was skewed and I just wanted to display it so it was not cockeyed. You might consider rewording that message as it implies you use this to fix something that is "wrong" and this kind of thing does not seem to fall into that category.

Thanks for the super response.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2007
    Actually where you saw the projection initially is the wrong place to do it. Changing the projection through the Options dialog for a single layer should only be used when the native projection of a layer was incorrectly set at import. You will almost always just want to change the projection on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog, which just changes your current view/export projection. Any loaded data will automatically be reprojected from its native projection to the selected projection.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • windtraderwindtrader Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    edited November 2007
    Perfect answer. I understand the use of Config a lot better.
    Thanks