Global Mapper v25.0

Visualization of walls in DTM

Hello,

is there any way that Global Mapper can correctly visualize a wall in a DTM? I always have the problem that house walls or smaller walls are not visualized evenly (see screenshot). Ground points are sufficiently available, but the wall just doesn't look like a wall. I observe the same again and again with house walls. Is there a suggested solution for this? You can also find an part of the data I am talking about in the attachment. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Good afternoon.

From my experience, you might be able to get the results you want by manually drawing a breakline on the base and top of the wall you want represented. This will force the model to adapt do that line. I usually use this for the vertical slopes under the bridges. That's my take, but it'll probably not be the ideal solution if you're working with a large volume of data.

Cheers.

• @schsan - If the detail exists in the underlying points/point cloud/breaklines/whatever that you're using to generate the elevation grid, then the best way to visualize it in the raster surface/elevation grid is to use a much tighter grid spacing.

For instance, change this:

To this:

There's all sorts of situations where this might not be desirable (file size, supersampling concerns, etc)....but there's no getting around the fact that a 2.5D gridded (raster) surface is going to be limited by the grid size.

That being said....You've got some other stuff going on there too. I don't know if that's a lidar point cloud or a photogrammetry point cloud or DSM or what....but it looks pretty noisy to me and JUST increasing the grid spacing probably isn't going to get you much closer to a clean-looking wall.