Global Mapper Pro

More than 255 LIDAR classifications?

I have a client that has requested a custom point code classification for LIDAR data, his desired list works in other software (PLSS-CAD) and goes beyond the ASPRS classes... up to over 600 different classes. Global Mapper only goes to 255, is it possible to import a custom classification system or add to what GM uses?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru
    Accepted Answer

There is not currently any way to assign Lidar classes beyond the range [0,255] in Global Mapper. I have created todo item GM-13301 to add this support in a future version.

• bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru
    Accepted Answer

Note that the standard Lidar formats (LAS/LAZ) only support the range [0,255] as well. I'm not aware of a Lidar format that supports more classes than that. The PLS-CADD format seems to just name the types. We auto-assign those to ASPRS standard types on import, but I suppose that could be updated to have some custom mapping.

Answers

• That's interesting about LAS/LAZ only supporting 0-255. Perhaps I could manually edit the PLSS file to change the classifications as needed.

• bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Moderator, Trusted User

Prior to LAS 1.4 (the latest version), only 32 classes were supported! It's very rare to find data with any values over 32. The only ASPRS defined classes over 32 are some bathymetry-related classes.