Global Mapper Pro

Background color for ragged-edge rasters

Syrett
Syrett Global Mapper UserTrusted User
I'm working with a series of overlapping drone images that I've created from pixels-to-points, and they all have irregular edges. It would be very good if I could export these as GeoTiffs with void backgrounds, so that I could assemble them into a new workspace. In the export, I've been checking the "Make Background (Void) Pixels Transparent" option in each case. However, when I import to the new workspace, the background colors are still there (see screenshot). Suggestions? Global Mapper 22.1. 

Answers

• Hi Syrett,

Have you tried bounding your pixel/pointy data (Select data and right click and select Advance Feature Creation + Create Coverage Area (Concave Hull)) to create an area that you can crop your images to (Double click on Image and select Cropping + Crop to currently select Polygon)? 

Ta,
    /al
  • Syrett
    Syrett Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Actually, that's exactly what I wanted to avoid doing, if possible. There are 15 images that would each need a finickity area drawn around it! But a curious thing happened earlier today....I zoomed way into the edge of one of the images, and suddenly the yellow area became completely transparent! Zoom back out, and the yellow reappears. On other images, this didn't happen. So I take it that the "Make Background (Void) Pixels Transparent" option on export is a hit-or-miss, sometimes-it-sorta-works, kind of thing.  :)
  • Who know buddy... :D There are a few quirky things in GM that I'd love to see removed, but overall I still think its awesome for what it  costs! 

Happy hunting!
    /al
  • Syrett
    Syrett Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Ha! I remember the days when we had to contour by hand, follow-the-dots. GM is pure luxury, and "awesome" is an understatement.  B)
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello @Syrett,

What you are seeing with your exported GeoTIFF sounds like it might be a bug. I suggest that you contact Blue Marble Support directly via email (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com) so they can take a look at it. Please include a detailed description of your workflow, including screen captures of your GeoTIFF export options and one of the images that you are exporting. It might help to also include a screen capture of the options you used for your Pixels-to-points processing. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Bob