Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

How best to split layer into groups based on search vector data queries?

kbelliskbellis Global Mapper UserPosts: 530Trusted User
Objective
Thousands of assessors parcels with many land use CAMA codes (MSLANDUSEC), but which can be broken into 9 basic groups. I've been doing this manually, but am now a volunteer on the Ellsworth Broadband Committee and receiving updated parcel files more frequently from the assessor, and would like to automate this process. I would also like to automate the styling of the new layers at the same time.

Manual approach
The manual approach that I've taken was to perform a Search Vector Data query, select all of the results, copy those results, place them on their own new layer, and then style. This would be done all all 9 major land use groups. For example, below is for the first group, 1000 - Residential, using the following query:

%MSLANDUSEC%  >= 1000  and  %MSLANDUSEC%  < 2000

First failures
Before reaching out here on the forum for guidance, I tried and failed:

Thank you in advance for how best to split layer into groups based on search vector data queries.

Kind regards,

Kelly

Answers

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,296
    edited July 13
    Hi Kelly,

You can use a command like this for each of your groups, repeating the statement with the desired minimum and maximum values, and output layer name.
    EDIT_VECTOR FILENAME="%LAYER% "COPY_TO_NEW_LAYER=YES NEW_LAYER_NAME="CAMA - 1000" \
     COMPARE_STR="MSLANDUSEC>=1000" COMPARE_STR="MSLANDUSEC<2000" COMPARE_OP="ALL" COMPARE_NUM=YES 
    A more advanced approach would be to use the DEFINE_VAR_TABLE command to create a table of minimum and maximum values, and loop through the table using VAR_LOOP_START and VAR_LOOP_END.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • kbelliskbellis Global Mapper User Posts: 530Trusted User
    Thank you so much Bob, I very much appreciate your help. I will study what you've outlined and the links that you have kindly provided.

Kind regards,

Kelly

Apparently, there can't be any gaps between these:
    <attr_name><operator><attr_value>
    Because the new layer only resulted after I removed the gaps:

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,296
    Hi Kelly,

Oops. I forgot that detail. I have edited the example. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Bob
    Seems like the anomalies are always a snag. In trying to deal with non-conforming CAMA coding, in the manual operation using Search Vector Data, I used
     %MSLANDUSEC%  < 1000  and  %MSTYPE%   <>  'WATER'
    Which resulted in 592 features

But when trying to approximate this operation through scripting, there are only 408 features

Note that I've commented out the COMPARE_NUM=YES. This is because 1) we've got values like 999V, and 2) we've got (null) values. When the COMPARE_NUM=YES is included in the script and allowed to run, the results dropped to 291 features.

PS. I tested using <> in the script. It seemed to work, even though it wasn't listed as a legal operator in Global Mapper Scripting Reference, Section 10:Edit Vector Data.
    EDIT_VECTOR FILENAME="%LAYER%" COPY_TO_NEW_LAYER=YES NEW_LAYER_NAME="CAMA Non-conforming" COMPARE_STR="MSLANDUSEC=999V" COMPARE_STR="MSLANDUSEC<1000" COMPARE_STR="MSTYPE<>WATER" COMPARE_OP="ALL" AREA_TYPE="CAMA Non-conforming"
    This results in zero features.

But using only:
    EDIT_VECTOR FILENAME="%LAYER%" COPY_TO_NEW_LAYER=YES NEW_LAYER_NAME="CAMA Non-conforming" COMPARE_STR="MSLANDUSEC=999V" COMPARE_STR="MSTYPE<>WATER" COMPARE_OP="ALL" AREA_TYPE="CAMA Non-conforming"
    results in 201 features; i.e., all with MSLANDUSEC=999V

It seems that both COMPARE_STR comparisons; i.e., COMPARE_STR="MSLANDUSEC=999V" and COMPARE_STR="MSLANDUSEC<1000", don't play nice together. 

Crying uncle, unable to script for the non-conforming (shown in red above) and putting a pin in it, I moved on this afternoon and tried the DEFINE_VAR_TABLE approach.

I obviously have no clue what I'm doing. And please don't take this the wrong way, but who ever wrote the Global Mapper Scripting Reference clearly knows what they're talking about; however, it's written as if they are writing for somebody who already knows what they're talking about.