data show same projection - why then does my lidar not line up with shapefile data correctly

I am new to lidar/gis and have tried to read through past questions but I am still having problems lining up my data. I am first bringing in Lidar which is in State Plane according to its Layer Projection under Options. I tell GM to load all other data I bring in into same projection. I then load a shapefile which has the same state plane projection according to arcatalog - but they don't line up when I bring it in. I verify once I have the shapfile in GM that it's projection is the same but they are off. Clearly something is wrong. I am not sure what to attach to this thread to help anyone help me help me.

Answers

• geomanniegeomannie Global Mapper User Posts: 230Trusted User
    Are you using the correct datums? I have never worked with US data but my understanding is that State Plane projection should be referenced to NAD83 ( https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-state-plane-coordinate-system-can-gps-provide-coordinates-these-values?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products).

Is it possible that your shapefiles are referenced to a different datum? It would help if you were to say how much the mismatch is. A little or a lot?

• whitecottonkwhitecottonk Posts: 3
    Thank you for the reply. They both say NAD 83. The difference is one is about 850 miles southwest of the other. 
    There are  various possibilities. My first guess might be that the shapefile is not actually State Plane, but unprojected latitude-longitude. Alternatively, perhaps one of the datasets is referenced to the State Plane wrong zone. Most states have several. That is as far as I can go with suggestions. Good luck!
    PS, there are also a whole range of NAD 83 datums
  • whitecottonkwhitecottonk Posts: 3
    Thank you! For the record seems you are correct - my LiDAR data I have now figured out had no projeciton to it. My shapefile does- the state plane/NAD 83. I still can't get them to line up but I suppose I am one step farther down the line in knowledge. I appreciate your time!
    If the Lidar data supplier can't tell you the projection, I suggest you open the Lidar on its own as unprojected data (try unprojected lat-long, WGS84 datum)I. f the x-y values are commensurate with expected latitude & longitude then you are a good way down the road. You can now open the shapefile as State Plane as an overlay.

If l have no projection/datum data I usually try various likely candidates, but it's guess work.