Elevation Grid from 3D Point Data vs GRID- Create Elevation Grid from 3D Vector/Lidar Data

Hello.
I've noticed a discrepancy when generating grids or DEM from point or lidar data. If I on import select "Elevation Grid from 3D Point Data" the resulting DEM has problems compared to if I import the file as "Point Only (All Features are Points)" and then go to "Right click layer" -> Analysis -> GRID- Create Elevation Grid from 3D Vector/Lidar Data. The result from the latter is better and more consistent than the former. Here's an exampel screenshot, where you can see a gridpattern on number 2:

I've also noticed that option 2 can sometimes create a 1 pixel gap between tiles when exporting to GMG grid. Overall it seems that despite option 2 seeming like the most logical choise, it actually produces worse data than option 1 (which feels like a few extra steps).

Anyone else had these issues?

Answers

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,255
    Hello,

I suggest that you contact Blue Marble Support directly via email (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com) to address this issue. Please include a detailed description of your work flow, along with screen captures of your import options and gridding options, and the data set you are gridding. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Bob