Can a custom color palette be saved and shared?

skymapperskymapper Global Mapper UserPosts: 14
I use custom colors all the time to prepare consistently branded exhibits for proposals and other communications.  Being able to save our branded color palette and share it amongst our staff would add significant usability to our common workflows.  Is there a way to save and share these settings?

I've taken numerous times to add our custom colors to the palette for the three feature types.  When I exit the workspace and reenter, the palette will sometimes be saved.  If someone else opens the same file however, the custom color palette goes away.  Is this information stored in the workspace?  If so, why don't my colleagues see the custom colors when they open it?  Is it stored on my machine?  If so, why don't I see them after someone else opens the file? 

Could you please provide some clarification?  Is there a way we can effectively share our palette so we don't have to repeatedly re-enter the same RGB values?

Thanks for your help!

Answers

• Amanda McDermottAmanda McDermott Global Mapper User Posts: 72Trusted User
    We have done this in the past, I'm sure it's possible - from memory I think it's a file that gets saved in C:\ ...  AppData\Local\GlobalMapper, or else maybe it was to do with saving out as .gm_style files. If nobody comes up with a proper answer for you I can have a better look.

• skymapperskymapper Global Mapper User Posts: 14
    Thanks, Amanda.  I'm working with exportation of the .gm_styles files to distribute branded feature types, but this doesn't affect the saved custom color palette.  I'll look around in C:\ ...  AppData\Local\GlobalMapper.
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,268
    Hello,

Could you be more specific about what you are doing? It sounds like you have changed the default colors for a few feature types using the Configuration | Styles tabs. Is this correct? 

I think your best bet is to create custom styles. These definitions are stored in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\GlobalMapper, in files called custom_<type>_types.txt, where <type> is area, line, or point. These files can be copied easily from one computer to another.

Cheers,
    Bob