Global Mapper v25.0

Exporting points e.g. Dot -Red as PDf to open in Illustrator.

NEV
NEV Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Exported points e.g. Dot -Red as PDfF, when opened in Illustrator appear as a white square with a red + in the middle but have no stroke or fill attributes when opened in Illustrator, and cannot be assigned such attribiutes, nor can they be grouped and selected as a group. Suggestions please?

Answers

• geomannie
    geomannie Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Can Illustrator open KMZ/KML files? If so, you can export point data from GM with a defined point style that can be opened in other programmes. This is an image of points classified as "Bank" in GM exported as KML, then opened in GoogleEarth.
  • NEV
    NEV Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Thank for trying geomannie - but Illustrator cannot open KMZ/KML files.Google Earth correctly dispays the point symbol as shown in GM, but no matter what type of point symbol I give (in GM), I get the same response from Illustrator. I will ask the Illustrator community for advice.
  • If I am not mistaken that is Illustrator's way of telling you that you have 'overset text'. In other words the text is larger than the frame in which it sits. This causes overset text to appear as if it is missing. There are articles online for fixing this issue within Illustrator. 

Many map symbols in Global Mapper and ESRI are in fact symbols saved in font sets. In the case of Global Mapper's dots, I think they use the bullets in the Times New Roman font. Adobe Acrobat says they are Times New Roman followed by a hyphen and number e.g. Times New Roman-1641. There may be many cases with different numbers. That means that when I open a map in Illustrator it cannot find the font due to the random hyphen and number at the end. You can fix this in Illustrator by using 'Resolve Missing Fonts...' to substitute them. This might in turn fix the overset text.
  • NEV
    Thanks for the suggestions, but doesn't give me (yet) what I want, as Illustrator does not recognise any "Resolve Missing Fonts" (option is greyed out even with all objects in the diagram selected). Illustrator also does not recognise any fill or colour for the point object symbol imported from G Mapper, so one cannot change any properties apart from size. Will ask the Illustator community for further options.
  • NEV
    Answer ✓
    I found a simple workaround In Global Mapper.
    Prior to Exporting as PDF:
    1. In Global Mapper - Select all points in a layer.
    2. Use the "Create Range Ring./Ellipses" tool to convert the points to rings or squares and give them dimensions, fill, line colours.
    3. The converted points will present as a new layer.in G Mapper and can be renamed accordingly.
    4. Do this for all the point layers you want Illustrator to recognise as separate "like" objects. 
    5. Export as PDF.
    6. Illustrator will then recognise each exported (former) point layer as a diecrete group of "Objects" according to fill, line and can be manipulated accordingly.
    This dispenses with a real constraint.where Illustrator did not discriminate between diffent exported Point layers from G Mapper - even thourh they looked different, and regardless of their appearance as points, they had no fill/stroke attributes that coluld be changed in Illustrator.
    That is now a thing of the past. 
    Hope someone else can find it as usefrul (and calming) as I am.
    Neville