Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

GPS Lost When Switching Apps and Using GPS Centered Function

BrianZ111BrianZ111 Global Mapper UserPosts: 44Trusted User
Hi, I'm using a Pixel 4a 5G phone running Android 11 and I'm having a problem losing GPS in Global Mapper Mobile.  It occurs when I switch apps and then switch back to GMM and choose "GPS Centered".  After that the textbox where the GPS info was reads "GPS: ???" and my position disappears from the map.  Another thing that triggers the same issue is if I press and hold on the map.  The camera app opens and then when I return to GMM, it's lost GPS.  I don't even have to choose "GPS Centered" to lose it in this case.  The only way I've found to get it back after this happens is to force quit GMM and reload it.  This is pretty much unworkable due to the number of times I need to switch apps and the difficulty of needing to zoom back in to the location after a reload. 

I have a version of Global Mapper desktop that predates the mobile app so I'm currently evaluating a trial of the latest version and deciding whether to upgrade based on if the mobile app can work in the field for what I need.  There are some other things I'd like to see added to Global Mapper Mobile so I didn't have to switch between different apps as much but I'll leave them for later messages as they are not as critical as fixing this problem.

Thanks
Brian

Comments

• PShoreyPShorey Global Mapper Developer Posts: 195Moderator, Trusted User
    edited December 2020
    Hi Brian,

The first thing I would do is check the location permission for the app. Open the Settings app, select Location and Global Mapper Mobile, and make sure "Allow all the time" is selected. If this doesn't resolve the issue, please contact our support team, geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com. We would be happy to open a ticket and investigate the issue.

The second item you mentioned is actually a feature. The long press gesture is used as a shortcut to create a picture point feature at the current location.

Peter
  • BrianZ111BrianZ111 Global Mapper User Posts: 44Trusted User
    It was set to "Allow only while using the app".  I switched it to "Allow all the time" but there was no change in the behavior.  I figured opening the camera is a feature but I don't think losing GPS after returning is a feature.  I will contact support.  Thanks.