Golf putting green Slope direction arrows

t_gere@pnd-anc.comt_gere@pnd-anc.com Global Mapper UserPosts: 3

I have hi-resolution elevation  mapping for a golf course I would like to make detailed  maps for each of the putting greens with slope directions arrows indicating  both the direction and percentage of slope. Also it would be helpful to be able to have three or more arrow sizes based on the steepness of the slope. Something like 0-5%, 5-10% and greater  than 10%

The greater the slope, the bigger the arrow.

I imagine creating a grid of points at a specified interval from the terrain surface and then applying the slope arrow symbology to these points.

I believe GM has existing tools like the Watershed map or quiver plot tool that possibly with a few tweaks could generate this type of output. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Answers

• geomanniegeomannie Global Mapper User Posts: 211Trusted User
    edited December 2020
    I am not sure this can be done in GM. I have other software that will do this. Perhaps PM me if you are interested?

I attach a quick and dirty example. It should be possible to make much nicer.
  • You can do this in global mapper.  

1. Create a grid (like 50ft x 50ft) over your whole site
    2. Select all grid area features, right click, and calculate elevation / slope stats

3. Select all grid area features, right click, create points at the centroids of your grid area features. The points will have the same attributes as the grid. 

4. Change the point style to quiver plot.  Style the rest, like labels and splitting into groups, etc, but doing some attribute calculations and grouping them manually.