How do I extend area skeletons/centre lines to the edge of the area?

Hunter GeophysicsHunter Geophysics Global Mapper UserPosts: 77Trusted User
I have a bunch of rectangles with differing orientations. I need to create a point between the two vertices on the short sides of each rectangle. That is, I need to create two points per rectangle. Something like this:

The problem is I have several hundred rectangles.

In the past, I have been manually creating each point estimating where the point should be by eye. Not ideal but it was sufficient for my needs.

Now I have a huge dataset and need to automate it if possible.

I tried the "create area skeleton/centre line" option. I figured I could then take the centre line and create points based on that (which should give me a point at either end of the line).

The problem is the centre line doesn't extend all the way to the edge of the area:

Of course, if I then create points based on that centre line, the points will end up within the rectangular area rather than on the edge of it:

Is there some way of automatically extending the skeleton/centre line to the edge of the area?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Answers

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,188
    Hello,

This looks like a bug. I suggest that you contact Blue Marble Support directly via email (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com). Please include a detailed description of your workflow, including screen captures of any options you use, and some data that can reproduce the problem. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Hunter GeophysicsHunter Geophysics Global Mapper User Posts: 77Trusted User
    Hi Bob, I have just emailed the bug report as requested. Thanks.