Global Mapper v25.0

How to add attributes from source when using Create Point Features Spaced Along Selected Feature(s)

Hi,

I have to convert a complex DXF mesh of an underground mine development into a point cloud format. I need to create a point every 5m along each Area Feature which represents a 3D Face in the mesh. But I need to pass the Feature Description attributes (original CAD layer name) to the generated points as they represent the development year. 

I can create a new Attribute Name called LAYER and copy the Feature Description attributes values to it, but when I create the points the attribute and values are not included. The only option I can see is to manually process each layer one-by-one and add the Attribute Name and Attribute Values each time. As these files can have upwards of 40 layers this is taking a long time to process; including the waiting time to add the points.

Does anyone have any ideas to speed this up? I have tried to copy between overlapping features but that takes even longer.

Cheers,
Steve

Answers

• And if you add the necessary columns of the source layer to the table of point attributes?
  • Not quite sure what you mean sorry. I can add a new column to my source and add the development year attributes to it (essentially copying the Feature Description attributes to a new column). When creating the points I see now way to ask GM to add these though.
  • tikhpetr said:
    And if you add the necessary columns of the source layer to the table of point attributes?
    If I add the Attribute Name (column name) when using the Create Points Features tool it just adds the Attribute Name (column name) to my points but doesn’t add the Attribute Values. Therefore the new column is empty.

I can however copy the Feature Description (Layer Name) and manually paste it in as the Attribute Value if I process the layers one at a time.
  • My English is bad, but I think you need to dig here:
    4.png 161.1K
  • But I don’t understand which settings should be used. :(
  • tikhpetr said:
    My English is bad, but I think you need to dig here:
    Thanks for your reply but unfortunately I see no common attribute I can use to join the data.
  • As I understand it, you need to add the desired attribute to the source table (no values), and then add values ​​to this column from another table.
  • tikhpetr said:
    As I understand it, you need to add the desired attribute to the source table (no values), and then add values ​​to this column from another table.
    I just don’t see how I would join or add the data though? When creating the points from the features I end up with a lot more points than the original area features because they are spaced every 5m. Also the points do not have any common attributes I can use to join the data.

Somehow I need to add the attribute data that already exists in my source data during the process of creating the points. I might contact support for ideas.

Thanks for your help.
  • Just as an update I discovered a way to do this. Turns out I had to split my DXF by Feature Description first and then export the group as a shapefile (Areas) and then import. Now when you use the Create Point Features Spaced Along Selected Feature(s) it automatically add the attributes from the source.