New line in prompt text

Ice Age MarkIce Age Mark Global Mapper UserPosts: 324Trusted User
Hello,

I want to have a short list instead of a long sentence for my "PROMPT_TEXT" text in DEFINE_VARIABLE.  I've tried every combination of escape/new line character (\'n') combinations I can think of (including using "\\"), but it doesn't seem to work.  Is this not possible with a prompt text window?  If it is, what is the correct way to script it?

Thanks for any insight,

Mark

Best Answer

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,146
    Answer ✓
    Hi Mark,

What version of Global Mapper are you using? I am running Global Mapper v21.0.2 (b120219) (121) [64-bit] [+LIDAR] - REGISTERED, the latest daily build. I don't know exactly when we made the change to handle new line characters within a parameter value.

The new line characters in my script are immediately after the last character in each line, but I am not sure it really matters. The warning shown on my output indicates that you should be able to use "\n" to represent a new line, but that didn't work. I will need to investigate further.

Here is the output I got when I ran your script:

Cheers,
    Bob

Answers

edited December 2019
    Hello Mark,

The script parser can handle an actual new line character inside a parameter value, so you can do the following to put a list in your prompt:

DEFINE_VAR NAME="THEVAR" PROMPT=YES ABORT_ON_CANCEL=YES PROMPT_TEXT="This is a list:
    ITEM1
    ITEM2
    ITEM3"
    I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Ice Age MarkIce Age Mark Global Mapper User Posts: 324Trusted User
    Hello there Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply, but when my script has:

DEFINE_VAR NAME="SECTOR" VALUE="" PROMPT="YES" PROMPT_TEXT="Choose a region:
    (1) E. Washington
    (2) Pacific Northwest
    (3) West Coast
    (4) East Pacific"

My prompt text window says:

"Enter value for script variable SECTOR:"

That makes sense because there is no continuation character (\) after "region:" to finish that command.  Could you be more explicit about exactly what to use. Where does the new line character go, and what is it's correct form?  I want my prompt text window to look like this:

Choose a region:
    (1) E. Washington
    (2) Pacific Northwest
    (3) West Coast
    (4) East Pacific

Thanks again,

Mark

Howdy,

That's what I want and what I'm doing, but I'm on Version 17.2, so maybe it wasn't implemented yet.  Let me know what you find out.

Thanks for looking into it,

Mark
    Hello,

The behavior I am seeing is actually a side-effect of Global Mapper searching for the ending quote in a quoted string when it extends beyond the end of a line. It is limited to 5 lines. This behavior was added pretty recently, during development of Global Mapper 21. I have added a new item to our task list to do something more intentional with respect to supporting a new line in the prompt text. This is issue GM-10513.

Cheers,
    Bob
    Well darn, I guess I'll have to use abbreviations.  Thanks very much for taking a look, Bob.

Best regards,

Mark