convert bearing and distance line segments arbitrary coordinates?

emedleyemedley Global Mapper UserPosts: 11
This seems like such a trivial problem that I feel stupid asking it... I have project with surveyed lot boundaries. I am not comfortable using the long/lats I can pick off from Google map image for the lot. In GM 20, the arbitrary coordinates assigned by GM when I loaded the map is not suited to me. I could use the bearings/distances to calculate the northings and eastings for property corners and the presumably re-rectify the image to the corner coords. The COGO tool looked promising but that is not related to the projection tool.  Any easy was to do this apparently simple conversion???

Tagged:

Comments

• sphillipssphillips Posts: 142
    You can change the projection at any time after importing the data, or you can set it to the one you want first and then import the data. Either way works fine.

Configure (spanner/wrench button) > Projection

You can of course manually add points to the property corners or convert your polylines/polygons to points automatically. To do the latter:
    1. Select the lines with the Digitizer Tool
    2. Right-click > Advanced Feature Creation Tools > Create New Points from Selected Area and Line Features
    You can export the points out to the format of your choice e.g. CSV, which will export the X, Y and Z values but if you want to add the X and Y values to your points so that you can see them in the Attribute Editor (Search > Search by Attributes, Name, and Description). To do this do the following:
    1. Select the points with the Digitizer Tool
    2. Right-click > Attribute/Style Functions > Add Coordinate/Bounds Attributes to Selected Feature(s)
  • emedleyemedley Global Mapper User Posts: 11
    OK. Thanks!  Let me try that. Of course, I'll have to manually calculate the Northings and Eastings (Latitudes and Departures, we used to call them when I was an engineering student a half-century ago..) before I assign their values to the property corners. Too bad clever GM does not do that for me, thought It seems to accomplish so much else!
  • sphillipssphillips Posts: 142
    Can you send any data for us to look at? We would also need to know the coordinate system of the data if it is not clear.