3d model of a half sphere?

JSLJSL Global Mapper UserPosts: 433Trusted User
Is there any way to make a 3D model from a vector circle so that it forms a dome?

Answers

• sphillipssphillips Posts: 142
    I don't think so. I have looked at a lot of options and see no obvious way to do this. Are you wanting to make a TIN mesh, model the terrain or create a 3D symbol for the 3D viewer etc?
  • JSLJSL Global Mapper User Posts: 433Trusted User
    Either a TIN mesh or a terrain model would work.  Thanks for checking.  I guess GM's 3D modeling doesn't work for domes.
  • sphillipssphillips Posts: 142
    As far as I am aware Global mapper can only model a slope with a constant slope value. Theoretically you could offset buffers one-by-one with a predefined buffer distance and Z offset but that would be time consuming and require you to calculate each of the buffer offset values (maybe an Excel exercise).

The only workaround I can think of is to model a dome in a 3rd party software and import and move into place. I have attached a dome with a radius of 10m if that helps. If you have AutoCAD you could scale and position this a lot easier. As the dome is at 0m elevation you could grid it and then Right-click on Layer > Options > Alter Elevation Values tab to shift it up.

If you need the dome at a specific radius then let me know and I'll send you an updated mesh.

• JSLJSL Global Mapper User Posts: 433Trusted User
    I just saw this...thanks, I was wondering about importing 3d models in a dome shape.