3D Profile subsample/simplify

max72max72 Global Mapper UserPosts: 7
I have a poincloud generated with photogrammetry, and I would like to extract and export some profiles. I have also the LIDAR module.
At the moment the profiles I get are composed by short segments, with a length comparable with my ground sampling distance. This is overkill, and while the points are never along a single line it's reasonable to consider the path composed of much less segments.
Is there a way to simplify the profile in order to have it composed of a reduced number of straight segments approximating and interpolating the areas with an almost constant inclination?
Thanks in advance,
Massimo

Best Answer

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,032
    Answer ✓
    Hello Massimo,

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to reduce the number of samples in the path profile.

You can simplify the polyline outside of the Path Profile tool. Select the line with the Digitizer and choose Move/Reshape Features | SIMPLIFY from the context menu. Then you can select the simplified line and choose Analysis/Measurement | PATH PROFILE.

Cheers,
    Bob

Answers

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,032
    Hello Massimo,

You can use the Path Setup | Specify Sample Count/Spacing Distance.. menu item on the Path Profile window.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • max72max72 Global Mapper User Posts: 7
    Thanks, I'll test it and report back.
    Cheers,
    Massimo
    I tried the options you suggested, but for what I understand the result is only composed of evenly spaced points. I was wondering if there is a solution to rebuild the polyline dropping the points that are aligned within a certain tolerance. I guess this is not feasible..
    Thanks for your time.
    Massimo
    Thanks! That did the trick.
    I have to play with the parameters, but it's a very nice option.
    Thanks again,
    Massimo