Global Mapper v25.0

Carlson Tin/Grid File Exports

Big fan of GM here! One of my key uses for GM is the processing of raster elevation data for ingestion into Carlson design software. Currently I have to export a .XYZ file which I convert into .GRD and .TIN files inside of Carlson/Autocad. It would be really awesome if I could directly export these .Tin & .Grd files.

If needed I could provide example copies of both of these files.

Another note is that Golden grid files are NOT the same as carlson grid files

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

I have added your information to our existing feature requests to export Carlson TIN and Grid files. At the moment, they are not scheduled for implementation. We will post a message on this thread when the status changes.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • DENSAN
    DENSAN Global Mapper User
    Bob,
    IMHO, a more practical feature would be the ability to export a raster elevation surface directly as LandXML format.
    Carlson, Civil 3D, Bentley and many other products can import LandXML surfaces.
    Just a suggestion

• You can export a TIN (from "Create Elevation Grid") as LandXML as long as you select the option to generate a tin.  That's how I import surfaces into Carlson right now.  

Exporting directly to Carlson's TIN format would be useful and remove a couple steps, but LandXML is more universally useful and compatible with Carlson.