Errors when importing KMZ's created in google earth

walkerwalker Global Mapper UserPosts: 6
I import KMZ's created in Google Earth Pro almost one a daily basis and have for years with no issues. Most the time it is just a simple path I created by clicking on roads/paths . In the past month or so anytime I import a KMZ  GM does not recognize the file type and I have to manually choose KML. Then it pops up this error message. Any ideas what could be causing this? I did not change anything that I am aware of. I have GM 18.1 b022117 64 bit and Google Earth Pro 7.3.2.5776 (64-bit). When I export KMZ's from GM they load fine in Google Earth and I imported a KML created by Avenza maps with no errors.

Answers

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,986
    Hello,

It sounds like something changed in the way that Google Earth is producing the KMZ file. Can you attach a problematic KMZ file here?

Cheers,
    Bob
  • walkerwalker Global Mapper User Posts: 6
    Thanks Bob.

It would not let me attach it. It said file type not allowed. 

Here is a link to a file https://www.dropbox.com/s/7df9zhxlojlb3b7/pecos.kmz?dl=0
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,986
    Hello,

That file loads successfully in Global Mapper 20.1, so the issue has been fixed. I don't know why it would have suddenly appeared, other than a change to how Google Earth created the KMZ file.

Cheers,
    Bob