what file format should a script be.

I have tried to create a script as a .txt file but GM does not recognise ( show to select) this in the run script command.
I am new to GM so any help will be great.
If I can download a file to start this would be easiest.
Thank you

Best Answers

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,026
    Answer ✓
    Hello,

A script should be a text file with a .gms extension, but you can use a .txt file. On the dialog to open a script file, choose "All Files" from the file type list, and .txt files will be shown in the list.

Here is a link to a recorded webinar that is an introduction to scripting in Global Mapper.

Cheers,
    Bob
    Answer ✓
    Hello,

Use the EDIT_VECTOR command to select a subset of your features and do something to them.  Here is an example that uses the "not equal" operator:
    EDIT_VECTOR COMPARE_STR="ATTR!=street" COPY_TO_NEW_LAYER NEW_LAYER_NAME="NON_STREETS"
    That command will find all features where the attribute value is not "street" and copy them to a new layer called "NON_STREETS".

You can find the full documentation for the EDIT_VECTOR command here.

Cheers,
    Bob

Answers

• LewisLewis Posts: 4
    Great thanks for that. It did work.
    I'm also interested in knowing how to script or query "not equal to" in GM. for example all road features with a name not equal to "street".
    Thanks

• LewisLewis Posts: 4
    Thanks Bob
    That did work in a script, is there also a way to perform this through the "search vector data/ query" tool in GM.
    Regards

Lewis
    Lewis said:
    That did work in a script, is there also a way to perform this through the "search vector data/ query" tool in GM.
    1. In the Search Vector Data tool, type ATTR <> 'street' into the Query section and click the Search button. A window of search results will pop up.
    2. In the search results window, click the Select All button.
    3. Right-click in the list with the selected features and choose Copy the Selected Features to the Clipboard
    4. In the main Global Mapper window, choose Edit | Paste Features from Clipboard. A Select Paste Layer window will appear.
    5. Choose Create a New Layer to Paste To from the list and click OK.
    6. Type a name for the new layer and click OK.
    7. Choose the Projection (default is the current projection, which is most likely what you will want) and click OK
    Cheers,
    Bob