problem recreating measure attributes in v.20.0

JSLJSL Global Mapper UserPosts: 422Trusted User
Hi, I discovered that if I rename the "Bearing" or "Length" attributes to a new attribute that begins with the attribute, like "Bearing One" or "Length One", v.20 will not recalculate the attribute and create a new "Bearing" or "Length" attribute if I try to add/update the measures.  I had to rename it so another word is in front of "Bearing"/"Lenght", like "Test Length" or "Test Bearing" before it would create a new Length or Bearing attribute.

However, v.18 has no problem with this.  Not a huge problem, but it was annoying until I figured out what the problem was.

Comments

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 2,026
    edited March 11
    Hello,

I took a quick look, and it appears that this was done on purpose. In certain vector formats, attribute names are limited to 10 characters. When a user exported data containing measure attributes to those formats, and imported them back into Global Mapper, the result was duplicate measure attribute names. The solution was to treat all attributes that start with a measure attribute name (e.g., "BEARING" and "BEARING ONE") as the same attribute. 

If you want to see about having this changed, I suggest that you contact Blue Marble Support directly via email (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com). Please provide a detailed description of your work flow along with sample data that can reproduce the problem. Also indicate what your desired result would be. Thank you.

EDIT: Added email address.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • JSLJSL Global Mapper User Posts: 422Trusted User
    Once I figured out what was going on, it wasn't a problem, so I would just suggest making it known somehow that bearings and lengths can't be recalculated unless you change the first word of the attribute.  Maybe in the dialog box?