Entering text in this forum - Ctrl + left/right arrows

BillBBillB Global Mapper UserPosts: 113Trusted User
Hello All

I'm used to using keyboard shortcuts a lot when entering text:
Shift and End to jump to the start and end of a line of text, and Ctrl+ left or right arrows to jump the cursor one word left or right, adding in Shift if I want to select words to left or right.  This works in the vast majority of instances in word processors, text editors, email clients, and web forms and forums.  Even in the discussion title of this page. But not when entering comments into this forum.
Ctrl + left/right arrow jumps the cursor to the beginning/end of the line, just like Shift or End.

Drives me nuts every time I use this forum!  Can anything be done about this uniquely odd and counter-productive keyboard behaviour?

Comments

• JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 305Trusted User
    Hi Bill,

Curious. Ctrl+left/right arrow seems to work fine for me (moves left/right word). Works with Shift pressed as well (updates selection as appropriate).Maybe some local setting on your end is different?

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • BillBBillB Global Mapper User Posts: 113Trusted User
    Jeff - thanks for checking.  It''s possible that it is my settings, but my keyboard behaves normally everywhere but here.  Could others check and let me know how they get on?
  • Amanda McDermottAmanda McDermott Global Mapper User Posts: 60Trusted User
    Mine works in the same way as Bill's - can't jump just one word (but I can on other websites/in other programs). The shortcut works in the search bar at the top of the page, but not in the dialogue box in which I am currently typing.
  • Hello Bill,
    For me, if HTML view is on, Ctrl+left / right go to the beginning / end of a line. Also Ctrl+ Home / End will go to the top or bottom of the entire text. Home and End (without shift) will bring you to the start or end of a line.

If you turn off HTML view (the last toolbar button towards the right) Ctrl+left / right will move one word to the left or right, Ctrl + Home / End will go to the top or bottom of the text and Home / End (with no Ctrl or Shift) will move to the beginning or end of a line. Shift + Home / End will highlight to the beginning or end of the line.

I've looked at the forum settings to see if we can match the behavior you normally use but don't see any options for that at this time, but will continue to research that.

--Laura
    JeffH@BMG
    Amanda / Laura, thank you for checking. Toggling HTML *to* code view works for me too, so that is a viable work-around. I can create text first, then format it later if needed - generally it isn't. I wondered whether Jeff had a setting to default into HTML code view, but I can't see any such option in "Edit Profile".
    Got to say though, if it works OK in HTML code view but not in normal mode, that sounds like a bug in the forum software or an error in the forum setup.  I know "Vanilla" doesn't come cheap... maybe you need to escalate the enquiry :)
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 305Trusted User
    Curiouser. I don't think I've ever enabled the HTML view (seems to be off for me by default), and even more curiouser, Ctrl+ left/right arrow works the same way whether it's on or off (move left/right word), in fact all of the combinations work as expected. Not sure why I'm so special (don't answer that, Laura).

I don't see any settings for this either. Is it a browser thing? I use Chrome...

~Jeff
    Hmmm, good catch, Jeff. I use Firefox. I have just tested with Internet Explorer and guess what, it works fine - so it must be a browser thing - but I bet Mozilla would blame the forum software!
    edited November 26
    For what it is worth, I just tried running FF with add-ons turned off.  It didn't make any difference.  Thanks all for testing and comments.  If anyone else has any bright ideas, please let us know.