GeoPDF

STHSTH Global Mapper UserPosts: 434Trusted User
edited July 2009 in Suggestion Box
Is it possible to add support for GeoPDF or regular PDF in the future?

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2008
    We are hoping to add support at least for GeoPDF in a future release, perhaps the v10 release late this summer.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • RecceRecce Global Mapper User Posts: 178Trusted User
    edited April 2008
    Great news global_mapper!

:)
  • Dan AndersonDan Anderson Global Mapper User Posts: 20
    edited May 2008
    I look forward to the support of GeoPDF.
  • STHSTH Global Mapper User Posts: 434Trusted User
    edited October 2008
    Hows the work going? Is the GeoPDF standard written well so its easy to integrate?
    edited October 2008
    There really hasn't been any more outside demand for GeoPDF, so we haven't done any work towards that end. Support for GeoPDF will most likely be through the licensing of a 3rd party commercial library, so there has to be enough demand to justify the cost before we did anything.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ollagynotollagynot Global Mapper User Posts: 39Trusted User
    edited October 2008
    GeoPDF support would be a great and useful addition to Global Mapper.
  • kfroesekfroese Geotechnical Engineer Posts: 164Trusted User
    edited June 2009
    Here is one more vote for including GeoPDF. The Government of Canada's latest dataset of topographic maps is coming out in that format and the tiff's are no longer georeferenced.

The link to the new product: GeoGratis - Datasets Search

They look pretty nice but absence of geotiff's may mean I don't use them!
    edited June 2009
    It's still on the todo list, but the vendor that created the GeoPDF format has not been forthcoming with any assistance to support it. It's disappointing that all of these governments are abandoning GeoTIFF rather than just adding GeoPDF as most mapping/GIS applications don't support GeoPDF yet.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • MattMatt Global Mapper User Posts: 176Trusted User
    edited July 2009
    I have a feeling that the GeoPDF vendor (I don't even want to say their name) has some evil plan to get the USGS to move to GeoPDF under the guise of making the maps more available to the public, and then require licensing fees from anyone that wants to convert the files into a standard GIS format that the rest of us need. Makes me wonder if the guy that owns the GeoPDF company has a brother-in-law that's a congressman or something. Looks like all new USGS Topo Maps are GeoPDF. It's all very disappointing.