How do I add a local mine grid projection to Global Mapper?

The local mine grid has been surveyed and has survey control points in both local grid feet and State Plane NAD83 US survey feet coordinates.  I successfully added the local mine grid projection to ArcGIS V10.6.  My goal is to transform local grid 3d dxf files in Global Mapper to State Plane for use in 3d modelling software.

Answers

• sphillipssphillips Posts: 114
    You should just be able to setup the GM workspace in State Plane and then import the DXF meshes into it. When it prompts for the projection just use the 'load from file' option and browse to the mine grid PRJ you created in ArcMap.

I working for a mining consultancy and we have tried to setup local grids without success so I'll be keen to learn how you generated the mine grid PRJ with ArcMap. Usually the mine grids we come across are based on an existing coordinate system but shifted in the X and Y to bring it closer to the 0,0 origin. I have come across some that are rotated and I usually have to use common reference points to establish the rotation and shift in AutoCAD.
  • tamukatamuka Posts: 20
    global mapper can perform transformation of vector data based on a file. just create a csv file with at least 3 of your common survey control points in both systems eg  XNAD83 YNAD83 XGRID YGRID POINT NAME then select the layer you want to shift or transform left click and choose shift selected layers a fixed distance or transform coordinates, select transformation based on file press OK and select the file with Nad83 and Grid coordinates then global mapper will transform your vector features to mine grid coordinates, but when u initially import your vector data specify the coordinate system if it wasnt set already. hope it will help
  • tamukatamuka Posts: 20
    otherwise use geographic calculator to create  a fitted coordinate system which will be stored on your computer and you can always use it for that project each time you want to transform