Quadro GPU help

Hello!

I'm demoing Global Mapper. I actually demoed it last year but have yet to purchase, looking at it again. I was pretty unimpressed with the visual speed/redraw of some basic data (JPG/TIFF imagery + DEM). The files are pretty small (50-300 MB). I have much larger files but am starting with small and the redraw is very slow. Like zoom one click on my mouse wheel and I wait 5-10 seconds for it to show up again). I had gone through some support back and forth with Global Mapper via email, didn't really figure it out, then moved on to other things and kinda just didn't have time anymore. So now I'm trying it again and would like to resolve this before I can convince the company to purchase me a license. If this performance is normal, then I do not want it, and if it's not normal and there is a fix, great!

Essentially if I just open a JPG or TIFF ortho, it's just slow to zoom in on, disappears then comes back with every zoom. I can view the image better with just Windows Photo Viewer...

It's not a PC hardware/driver issue, I have many other software's that work just fine with mass data, LiDAR processing/viewing tools, photogrammetry, modelling, etc (Maptek I-Site Studio, Agisoft Photoscan, Pix4D, Civil 3D, and many more). 

I have GPU drivers installed and am very familiar with that and the GPU settings. One thing I noticed is the Nvidia tray icon for GPU activity (that shows what programs are currently running on the GPU) does not ever show the Global Mapper software. All my other software's show up when I run them on the GPU, except this one. I've manually set GM to open on the GPU but it just doesn't do it. I'm assuming this is the issue but no idea how to fix it. It's probably running on the internal Intel GPU?

Images are on the local SSD. At the current moment I'm just opening a 200 MB image, no DEM, no 3D view.

I saw the same issue last year with different drivers and GM 19.0, now new drivers and GM 19.1. I went through the GM settings and also cannot seem to find any GPU settings, if there are any?

Thanks in advance!

Laptop:
  • HP Zbook 17 G2
  • Core i7-4910MQ
  • 32 GB RAM
  • Quadro K5100M GPU
  • 512 GB SSD
Tagged:

Answers

• Actually I just dug up my old support case from January, and I had resolved it at the time by switching to JPG from GeoTIFF (much larger files, GM's suggestion). It was ok at the time and quicker at zooming, but now I am trying it again and it's bad again, even with smaller JPG's. I'm certain it has to do with the Quadro card, just not sure how to resolve. 
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 320Trusted User
    Hi orellius,

With respect to your display speed problem, it's probably best to first try out the most recent version of Global Mapper., Version 20.0, just released on Tuesday. If that doesn't solve your problem, then the next step would be to contact our support folks with a copy of your data (if that's possible) to  Blue Marble Geographics Support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com).

With respect to Global Mapper's GPU usage, I can tell you that the 2D rendering engine and any analysis/computation facilities don't use the GPU. It's all done strictly on your main CPU, though often using multiple threads. The 3D viewer is the only Global Mapper component that uses the GPU, at least at this time.

Best regards,

~Jeff
    orellius
  • Hi Jeff,

I don't mean to hijack orellius' thread.  But can you tell me if the Pixel to Point processing tool would most benefit by a higher clock cpu or more cores?

I'm on a trial version and I've ingested 2.5GB of datat (352 ~7.5Mb images) and it's been running for about 10 hours as of now.  Monitoring Task manager, GM grabs all of the available CPU from time to time, but I haven't noticed it using more than 5 Gb of RAM. So I doubt more RAM would not be helpful but I'm not sure if more cores or higher clock speed would be would give the greatest bump compared to what I'm using for the trial.

The laptop I"m using isn't super powerful, but not a slouch either.

i7-6700HQ Quad-Core 2.6 GHz
    16 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    GTX 960M with 2 GB GDDR5 VRAM
    Samsung 512 GB M.2 PCIe

Thank you,
    Dave
  • JeffH@BMG said:
    Hi orellius,

With respect to your display speed problem, it's probably best to first try out the most recent version of Global Mapper., Version 20.0, just released on Tuesday. If that doesn't solve your problem, then the next step would be to contact our support folks with a copy of your data (if that's possible) to  Blue Marble Geographics Support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com).

With respect to Global Mapper's GPU usage, I can tell you that the 2D rendering engine and any analysis/computation facilities don't use the GPU. It's all done strictly on your main CPU, though often using multiple threads. The 3D viewer is the only Global Mapper component that uses the GPU, at least at this time.

Best regards,

~Jeff
    Thanks! v20 made a massive difference! Now it's very quick. I guess that's that then!
    JeffH@BMG
  • orellius said:
    JeffH@BMG said:
    Hi orellius,

Best regards,

~Jeff
    Thanks! v20 made a massive difference! Now it's very quick. I guess that's that then!
    Did this fix your gpu utilization issues? Or does out just draw quicker?