Changing Elevation of Shapefile

Hello,
I have a shape file I imported which doesn't seem to have any elevation data attached to it. Because of this, it is lying way underneath my Lidar data (through a map catalog) at what I assume is a "default" elevation. I want to either lift the entire shape-file up on top of the lidar data, or move the lidar data down under the shape-file data in order to create the visual of the shape-file data directly above the lidar ground points. (Elevation accuracy isn't needed as this is only for a flyby visual, I just need them to look like they are on top of each other)
I saw on another post that you can export your shape-file data as a Simple ASCII (XYZ) Text File and then set the offset to whatever I need it to be, and then import the new file. This would work perfectly however I do not know what my Z value actually is. I only know how high (or low) I need it to be in meters.
I also know that I can go into the Attribute Editor and manually add an elevation offset (in meters) for whatever value I need, but my shape-file has hundreds of different lines, to go in and do it manually would take weeks, there must be an easier way to do it.

Thank you so much!

Answers

• 946946 Global Mapper User Posts: 125Trusted User
    Hi,

You can triangulate your lidar data in a triangulation grid.
    After select all shapes and add elevation from terrain data.
  • Okay great Ill try that tomorrow and get back to you. 
    Thank you so much!
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 297Trusted User
    Hi,

Another thing that you can do is add elevations to all of the features in your shape file using the Attribute Calculator. This tool can be used to add new attributes to features or modify existing attributes using a formula: In this case, you will be creating a new attribute named "ELEVATION" to all features in your shape file, and assign ieach a value in meters. Just for the sake of example, let's assume that the elevation will be 80 meters.

* Load your shape file
    * From the main menu, Layer --> Calculate/Copy Attribute Value(s)
    * In the "Select existing or create new attribute to assign calculated values to" field, type: ELEVATION. That's the new attribute you'll be adding.
    *  Select Use formula calculation, and in the Enter formula: edit box, type: 80
    *  Click on "Calculate"

At this point, you should be able to go into the Attributes Editor to verify that all of your features now have an attribute named "ELEVATION", with a value of 80.

Hope that this helps. Cheers,

~Jeff
    shyampandya210
  • Hello Jeff, 
    This worked perfectly, thank you so much for everything!!!

Shyam 
  • JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 297Trusted User
    Hi Shyam -- you are welcome. Glad to be able to help.

~Jeff