Identify terrain layers in Path Profile

Feature request:

Can we please have a key/legend/label or ability to use the Feature Info Tool to interrogate the coloured lines displayed in the Path Profile/Line of Sight window?

There have been many occasion in our office where we have needed to analyse terrain data in the Path Profile/Line of Sight window but been unable to distinguish between the coloured lines displayed that represent the various terrain layers.

So far I have looked through the documentation, looked at all the options, and I have asked on the forum (but had no reply) so I am guessing this is not possible? The only method I know is to turn on each layer one-by-one and note what lines appears; then repeat manually to try and understand what each of the coloured lines represent.

Cheers,
Steve

Best Answer

• JeffH@BMGJeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Posts: 328
    Answer ✓
    Hi folks,

Looks like the legend that distinguishes among different terrain lines was added to Global Mapper a bit over a year ago, so it probably first appeared in GM 20.1 or so. You need to have two or more terrain layers loaded, and the following settings checked in the Path Profile Settings dialog:
    • "Draw separate line for path from each terrain layer"
    • "Draw legend when drawing separate layer lines"
    You should see a legend appear in the Path Profile display, and you can drag it around the view to a convenient location. It's not otherwise configurable. A more complete overview of the path profile settings is here: https://www.bluemarblegeo.com/knowledgebase/global-mapper-21/Path_Profile/PathProfile_settings.htm.

Here's a sample:

Hope that this helps & sorry for the delay in responding.Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

~Jeff
    kfroesesphillips

Answers

• A legend for the path profile tool would be very helpful. Please do implement this feature!
  • kfroesekfroese Geotechnical Engineer Posts: 171Trusted User
    I also vote for this feature! It would be very helpful when comparing surface data.
  • JeffH@BMG said:
    Hi folks,

Looks like the legend that distinguishes among different terrain lines was added to Global Mapper a bit over a year ago, so it probably first appeared in GM 20.1 or so. You need to have two or more terrain layers loaded, and the following settings checked in the Path Profile Settings dialog:
    • "Draw separate line for path from each terrain layer"
    • "Draw legend when drawing separate layer lines"
    You should see a legend appear in the Path Profile display, and you can drag it around the view to a convenient location. It's not otherwise configurable. A more complete overview of the path profile settings is here: https://www.bluemarblegeo.com/knowledgebase/global-mapper-21/Path_Profile/PathProfile_settings.htm.

Here's a sample:

Hope that this helps & sorry for the delay in responding.Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

~Jeff
    This was an awesome feature and has been very useful to us. Great work team!