Path Profile - Parallel Profiles

kfroesekfroese Geotechnical EngineerPosts: 165Trusted User
The Perpendicular Profile option added to the Path Profile/Line of Sight dialog a version or two ago is quite powerful. I'd like to suggest a companion feature: Parallel Profiles. For example, when looking at elevation data along a roadway (existing or proposed), it would be helpful to be able to simultaneously see the path profile at 10m or 20m offset (both sides) to see what the cut/fill scenarios might be. This is often called the "ditch line" in the transportation sector.

Comments

• bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,958
    Hello,

if you have the parallel lines already, you can select them and use the context menu to create a Path Profile for each line (Analysis/Measurement | PATH PROFILE).  Is that what you are looking for?

Cheers,
    Bob

• kfroesekfroese Geotechnical Engineer Posts: 165Trusted User
    Kind of but not quite. To do it that way, I'd have to create the buffer lines at 10m, 15m, 20m, or whatever relevent distance I needed. Assuming I had a line to buffer. I'd like to be able to use the feature on an existing line via the context menu or from a line drawn just for the query and then be able to see the offset profiles. If 10m doesn't look right or doesn't give me the info I want, then I could click into a box and change it to 20m. Might be nice to have two sets of offsets too! Helps when planning drilling investigations (how deep is the cut or how high the fill adjacent to existing roads) or check for potential embankment stability issues or routing new highways.
    Thanks for considering.
  • bmg_bobbmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer Posts: 1,958
    Hello,

I have added feature request #23937 to our task list.  We will post a message on this thread when the status of the request changes.  Thanks.

Cheers,
    Bob